Trailer MPG?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Coumbe, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

What difference is there in the MPG's when pulling a trailer or loading equipment in bed of truck.

2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

No real answer for this question. Depends on size of trailer, vehicle, weight of equipment, style of trailer, ect, ect.

3. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Probly depends too on your p/up truck. I run a Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton. I get about 18-21 mpg -even with equipment in the bed. Now if its loaded to the gills w/ fresh cut firewood itll drop to about 16-17 mpg. Towing a loaded 16" trailer I get about 9-12 MPG....The electronic mpg readout seems pretty accurate...

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Dunno, it takes 1-2 months before I can retrieve a solid mpg figure via commercial fleet fueling and this truck I just got going...

But with my '86 D-250 and the 6x12x2 trailer, I used to get 14 mpg taking it nice and easy, most of the time 1 wb and a handheld blower and the stringtrimmer loaded, sometimes heavier but not usually. That was on a carbureted 318 cid, with all high performance ignition and intake parts, and premium fuel.

A light foot on the throttle is the trick, I've gotten up to 15 mpg but never sustained, sometimes as bad as 10-12 lol.
    And yes, I've heard 16-18 mpg is possible, but I'm not sure my 360cid engine will do that, the 307 Ford might, the newer 318 cid mopar should, but 350-360's I'm not too sure about, I'll be happy with 14 mpg on mine.

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

10 mpg for me pulling the open trailer with both mowers on it.

I generally don't "try" to get good mileage, I mean I don't floor it, but I also like to get where I'm going today.

The truck gets anywhere from 11-14 mpg unloaded.

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

my trailer get good mpg. its my truck that gets crap for milage. Heck all I have to do is spill a little gas on it occasionally and it keeps on going(as long as it is hooked to my truck, which gets crappy milage).

7. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Dodge ram 1500, i get about 16mpg empty truck only, 9-10mpg with 6'x12' enclosed trailer

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

'95 F-150 with a 5.0. Unloaded around 18+, loaded with a 4,000+ pound trailer it gets around 14.

9. scagtiger

scagtiger LawnSite Member
    from TN

07 cummins... unloaded i get about 18-19mpg.... with 16ft trailer with both mowers around 16