1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer needing brakes

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by siklid1066, Jan 30, 2008.

1. siklid1066

siklid1066 LawnSite Member

At what weight does a trailer have to be to have brakes?Can a truck stop a trailer if the brakes or brake box dont work?
  2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i think most tandem axle trailers have brakes. i dont think ive seen any single axle trailers with them. and yes the truck can stop an unloaded trailer without brakes. but once its loaded its just unsafe for everyone around you and your truck.
  3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn LawnSite Member

I think it is when the gross weight is 7,000lbs or greater. In MN double axle trailers have to have brakes on both axles.
  4. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

I am pretty sure that its now a law all trailers must have brakes(in NJ ). I don't know about the rinky dinky U-haul trailers,but if you are a landscaper,you better have them here. One of the first things they do if you are stopped is to check for a brake controller.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Check your state laws, also I would purchase the trailer from a local dealer because they usually would not sell you an illegal trailer.
  6. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

Check with your state dot, I thought any trailer used commercilly needed brake, but I'm not positive, & I know there are contractors out there that use ones with out brakes.
  7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

In the sate of Idaho - if a trailer weighs in at just over 1600 pounds empty it needs to have brakes. I'm struggling with this very issue now. My 6 x 12 enclosed, no brakes, will be right at 2,000 to 2,200 pounds loaded. My tow vehicles are not what I would call super capable. 85 Toyota 4x4 and a 91 4runner. I'm sure a new Toyota Tundra has superior stopping power when compared to my current rigs even if the trailer is maxed out at 2,990 vs. the 2,000 with my older Toyotas.
  8. Dave Maher

Dave Maher LawnSite Member

I believe it is GVWR 2000 lbs.
  9. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Varries from state to state but that was a common set point.
    3000 lb or less GVWR trailer is not required to have them if the loaded trailer weighs less than 40% of the towing vehicle per ( 49 CFR 393.42(b) (3)-(4)). Combo must, however, be able to stop in 35 feet from 20 MPH. BC set it at 3080 lbs (1400 kg ) and under 50% towed to tow vehicle licensed weight ratio.
  10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't care if it's required or not, I would never have another trailer withour brakes. Its much safer with them and you can really feel the difference.