Trailer on trailer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, I got this WACKY idea... Whaddaya thinK??

I have a SMALL 4*8 trailer and a HUGE 16*7 trailer. Most of you know that.

My 16*7 I've been using to get my equipment around. But I still have plenty of room on this trailer..

And I've been working out a way of where to put my leaves.. Cause on the front of the trailer is a pain to unload, in the bed of the truck (short bed dodge ram) doesn't hold all too much, so what to do.. Haven't came up with a good solution.

Has ANYONE ever done this:

Put the small 4*8 trailer ON TOP OF the large 16*7 trailer with equipment. Strap it down good. The 4*8 trailer empty doesn't weigh too much, and I can move it around real easy by myself, empty.. I know I could get it up the ramp of my 16*7 trailer just pushing it up by legwork with no problem (Never did it but I can move it around pretty good on level ground with no problem at all)

Go to jobsite.

Drop 16*7 trailer, put lock on trailer ball hitch..

Hook up 4*8 trailer to truck.

Do job, loading all BAGGED leaves into small 4*8 trailer.

Leave large trailer at job site, go to dump with SMALL trailer loaded to the brim with leaves and empty trailer. Return to job site with empty trailer.

Put it back on top of large trailer, hook up and go to next job.

Cause the ideal setup would be to have 2 drivers, 2 trucks, 2 trailers, like LGF has.. One for equipment, one for leaves only.. But short of that, piggy back the 2 trailers on top of each other.

Any other ideas? Thanks.
    Gary

2. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a plan to me.

Are you going to load the equipment twice or what?

You might be able to put a hitch on the bigger trailer and double the smaller one.

Jim

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Seems it would make more sense to add drop gates to the side of the 16'er and have a hydraulic lift mounting the 4x8 at the back of the 16'er to dump the trailer without having the rest of the rigamarole(sp) -LOL!!!

Just a thought.

4. Doogiegh

I don't think double-trailers are legal in NJ. Otherwise that would be great as long as I don't have to turn around. <G>

I was just wondering if ANYONE else ever did that.. took 2 trailers to 1 site, using 1 for a leaf box... Going off to dump and coming back empty.

Only thing that bothers me the most is leaving the equipment at a site while I go dump.. Even locked up on the trailer.. I just don't like that idea at all.

Gary

5. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

What if you welded it to the front of the trailer high enough to get the equipment under, and put gates on the side and use it as a dump bed?Maybe even make it removable, kind of like a 2nd level? Just an idea, bet it has its down sides too.

6. Doogiegh

I don't think I can mount the 4*8 on top of the 16*7. First off, the 4*8 turned sideway would be a foot wider than my trailer.. even if I used just the trailer bed. Then also, if I mount if up in the air.. Say 20 inches so that my machinery can go underneath.. That's just a further vertical height that I have to lift up barrels of debris to dump them into the trailer bin.. Not fun.. That could be a full 6 foot dead lift from the ground, up to the trailer height, plus the 20 inches raised, plus to clear say... 4 foot or 6 foot sides on the trailer side??

No thanks. <G>
    Gary

7. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Thought it had its downsides.but would be cool to see it done.

8. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

that sounds like a waste of time. Loading and unlaoding another trailer?? Just keep loading your truck bed up. If it gets too high, walk over top of the leaves to push tehm down. If you have too, build a box on the front of your trailer and leave a tarp on tehebottom of the box so you can drag the leaves off the trailer at the end of the day. Driving time is a big waste of money!!

9. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like a big pain in the azz!:dizzy:

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's a bad idea all the way around. Not only does it sound unsafe and impracticle, but that would be crazy to leave you equipment at a jobsite unattended. You can't SAVE enough money with less dumptime to cover the cost of ANY of that equipment, much less all of it. There are guys out there (probably esPECially in the Jersey area) that have tongue attachments that will will clamp right right to your trailer using big T bar clamps that will literally attach a whole 'nother tongue to your trailer and let them drive off with it. I have a buddy that does repo's and he has one of these.