Trailer - Open or Enclosed?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by sancho_man_orlando, Oct 4, 2006.

1. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

Just curious as to everyones thoughts on this.

I recently bought a 6 x 12 and have it vinyl lettered on 3 sides. No calls off of it yet.

It seems everyone I see has an open trailer.

Still new to the business and looking for clients.

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I like open trailers because then everyone can see my equiptment. Sounds stupid but hey I like seeing what other companies use. The enclosed are also good if you don't have a shop to put stuff in.

Cheers
    Jeff

3. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer the enclosed trailer. I have a 6 x 12 but outgrew it by the second year. They do cost more than the open trailer though.

At night I just back it into the driveway, padlock the back ramp door and forget about it. No one can see what equipment I have so I feel that it helps to prevent things such as my blowers & trimmers to "walk" away. Keeps road grime off the equipment also. Added benefit is that I don't have to go searching for a washroom throughout the day :) jsut keep some gatorade bottles handy.

The sides are like billboards for advertising. I have gotten several clients from this. :cool2:

4. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

I will be in the market for an enclosed next year, I hate having to come home, unload all my crap and then load it up the next time, I want the convenience and security of leaving all my stuff in the trailer, Plus you dont have to worry about things getting rained, hailed, snowed on! The only downside in an enclosed i think would be the awful smell of wet grass, and dog crap on tires after being locked up all weekend. I do like open trailers because i can show off my stuff though!

5. fortdan

fortdan LawnSite Member

I Perfer open trailers, because of 2 things, their cheaper and you can put stuff like dirt or sod on them.

6. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that this enclose trailer topic has been started, I'd like to ask the above question. Someone I know has offered to sell me his for $2000. I'm sort of thinking about it, but I have no idea what they go for. It looks pretty clean in that there are no dents or scars, and the inside is clean also. He said he bought it to store his ATV because he lived in an apartment and had no garage. But now the ATV has been sold and he wants to get rid of the trailer. It's unpainted aluminum.

Anyone have a feeling for this?

7. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

8. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the response, and I see what you mean. But before I get too excited about that, I'll have to look into how they would handle shipping. Certainly isn't something that would come via UPS, I don't think. And the higher number, $2800, would be another 40 percent, even without the shipping charges. This is just something I'd just like to have, not need to have.

9. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

Enclosed is the way I go, and remember do you call on every bill board that has a phone # no. Trust me you'll get calls sooner or later, it took me two years with my set up, and this year I have had several calls from people that have seen my trailer on the job. Good luck.

10. johnny v

johnny v LawnSite Member

I run an enclosed.. Nice for all purpose