1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

trailer open vs enclosed.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dapozer, Jan 9, 2006.

1. dapozer

dapozer LawnSite Member

I am looking at a 6x12 trailer for a part time solo operation to move around a 36 wb, 21 wb, and other stuff. I think the enclosed would be great for storage and advertisment and a place to lock equiptment up but it might get a bit small inside. I will also have a 18 foot car hauler/flatbed, and a 1 ton f350 crewcab. What do you think about enclosed trailers.
  2. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

6x12 enclosed will be plenty big enough and safer for your equipment.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

6x 12 enclosed is the way to go you can fit a 52 in ztr and a wb also man you get free billboard.
  4. Mark Markulics

Mark Markulics LawnSite Member

Instead of enclosed trailer I would look into a cube van whiich I have used for last couple years. Takes up less room and are just as big as enclosed trailers and doesnt cost as much as a new truck/trailer.
  5. dapozer

dapozer LawnSite Member

I should have all kinds of billboard space if I get the enclosed. With a 73 f350 crewcab longbox and a 12 foot enclosed I should be seen for miles. Oh yeah the paint scheem is old ford chrome yellow with green grass botton, green and black lettering. Might get mistaked for a school bus. lol
  6. Thistle

Thistle LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I have a 7x14 enclosed. I run an exmark 48 walkbehind and there is just enough room to run a 26 metro alongside. If I add another small mower its a real pain to move around in there. I personaly would never want to go back to an open trailer, but if I had employees I would want them to use an open trailer. They are much easier to back up because of the visibility around them, and they are less likely to catch low branches.
    I do wish however that I had bought a 16' trailer. The extra room would be nice. A 6x12 seems pretty small. IMO Jesse Thistle
  7. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

It would depends on you. What will you use it for besides mowing equipment. Benefit to a open is if you have a mulch job you can throw sides up on it and use it as a mulch trailer. There are plus and minuses to both.
  8. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

bigger is better when buying a trailer, dont buy the exact size you think you will need, buy the next step up, its nice to be able to move around in your trailer, and have extra stuff along for working on your mower, or feeding your belly.
  9. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

I went with a 7X18 open. Can't fill it up yet but soon hopefully. I definately want an enclosed however one great aspect of an open is that you can load large quanties of mulch and whatever other landscape material you will need for certain jobs. Also, on cleanups it is really nice.
  10. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

You really need both, I started with the enclosed and now have an open one for brush, etc....pays to have both...