1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer opinions?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PaulJ, Feb 2, 2004.

1. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd like some input on my trailer decision.

I need to get a bigger trailer this winter. With the old 5x8' I can't haul everything I want to. What I need to haul is a 36" lesco wb, 48" Hustler SWB, catchers for both and a 21" or two, trimmers, blowers, and gas cans. I would like to still be able to back it into my 10" x20" storage unit at night so I wouldn't have to unload everything everyday, but I could unload if I have to. The new trailers around here are a bit more than I want to spend now as I am still paying for the hustler. I have found a couple used trailers I would like your opinions on.

Trailer 1: 6'X12', tandem axel, wood floor, ramp gate.

Trailer 2: 5'X14'(including dovetail), single axel, steel floor, no gate, and raised baskets that are all in the wrong places.

Neither has brakes.

The reasons I am considering the 5ft wide are that It would fit into my storage unit better and It is a little longer. Also the raised baskets, although in the wrong places, could be cut off and re-mounted in better positions . If it had a ramp gate on it already I would probably jump on it. ($125-$150 to add on gate)

The pluses of the 6x12 are that it already has the gate, and I would be abel to unload the 21" mowers without having to unload the 48". But this would only be a plus 4 or 5 times a week. The tandem axel will ride better but also use tires faster. this trailer is a flat deck but the other one has a 4' dovetail at the back.

The new prices on these sizes of trailers are $1100 - $1500

Thanks for your input.
  2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I like the 6x12 better but I would be more motivated by overall construction of the trailers then the sizes you listed. Are they tubular steel or are then the lighter weight angle iron what’s the GVW listed on them. The trailer is one of those items I don’t mind spending the extra on probably because IV seen the cheaper more popular trailers wear out rather quickly at some of my past jobs.

Iv seen a small trailer that just fit everything the guy had to fit and he was so proud at how smart he was till he realized the cargo weighed to much for the springs. And the walls were sitting on the tires and it wouldn’t move.
  3. PaulJ

I'm leaning towards the 6'x12' myself. It already has the ramp gate and it is a tandem. But the 5'x14' would still fit a little better. I'm still confused.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

5' just is to narrow. A friend of mine has a 5' wide trailer and it has limited him a few times.
    For grass cuttin' season I use my 6'x12' with metro, HP, aerator, and racks for everything. Works good and I can get into tight areas with it.
  5. PaulJ

Again thanks for the replys.
    An update. I bought the 6'x12' tandem yesterday. It's not new but in decent shape. The tires are about new and it has been painted recently. wood floor is in good shape with a couple of new boards. The fenders are a bit beat up and I might want to replace the coupler. I works kind of rough. I'll try some WD=40 and adjusting it first.
    I'll try to get some pictures soon. NOw I have to dig my old one out of the snow so I can take the trimmer rack and blower basket off of it.
    Thanks again.
  6. PaulJ

I guess i never got those pictures posted.

Here is the trailer loaded with the daily mowing stuff.

It does fit into my storage shed but is tight. only a couple inches on each side. The wood box on the fender was suposed to be temporary for blowers ect. but it's still there and works ok.
    I can fit the 36" across the fron but don't carry it because it only gets used as backup and I haven't needed it yet.
    Glad I got the wider trailer.