Trailer park story

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Turf Commando, May 7, 2008.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Picked up a lawn job in trailer park.
    The neighbor always yells across the street. Asks me If I plan to run any equipment (Keep in mind I'm hauling equipment).:rolleyes: respond yes she says I just put two 9 month olds to bed, now your going to wake them up..

I understand the woman concern with noise, but I also understand I have a job to perform..

Anyone else with related story...?

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Make as much noise as possible!! or you could run your equipment on stealth mode!

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have a customer with a newborn. She comes out about every other week telling us not to do the back as we will wake them. They are a good customer so I asked when a good time to come is and she told me not to worry or go out of my way that its their choice and they are paying either way. They dont live in a trailer park though, maybe thats the difference.

4. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

That is ok for now but what do you do when June hits and it is raining daily and the grass in the back could actually be cut every 5 days instead of 7 and you cannot get back there because the baby is sleeping?

As far as the op goes, I would put my ear plugs in and go to work. She isn't paying you and her two 9 month old babies are not your problem! You have a job to do and that is that. You don't have to get snippy with her but you owe her nothing. Ignoring her is the only way I would handle this. Let your customer deal with the nutjob that cannot figure out that mowing equipment makes noise and during the day it is fine and dandy!

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The baby is sleeping? Give me a break. You have a job to do...they hired you to do it. You do it when and whenever you get there...not "What time is good for me to gear my whole day around for?".
    As far as the trailer park gal,....I wouldn't even acknowledge her talking. If I DID say anything to her, it would be something like. "You set me out the cash or write me a check for the cost of coming back out again, and I'll hold off for right now." Incidentally, they couldn't AFFORD to have me come out there.
    Are they going to say the same thing to a construction company that is there to repair the street out front? Hey, let me call the county rod commission and see if they can pull their crewoff to come back later when the baby isn't sleeping.

6. Gardens55

Gardens55 LawnSite Member

The babies will have to get used to it! Unfortunately the world doesn't revolve around them!
    Tell the mom that at least they will sleep tonight if they are up all day!

7. laxative

laxative LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Had an angry 3rd shift redneck, with a lit joint in his hand, yell at me last year for making noise at 11 AM. I apologized and said I'd be as quick as possible. Now he waves at me and wants to talk every time I pull up.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Those trailer parks their homes are very close together and the walls on those homes are kind of thin, I mean there is something I always went way out of my way to reduce the noise I was making.

Just go slow, and no Wot's ever.

No squeaks, no squeals, no clanks, no clatter.

Basically, pretend someone is always sleeping in that trailer next to you.
    And you don't want to wake them up.
    Even then it don't hardly take a few extra minutes.

A little respect, decency and courtesy goes a long ways.
    I never had a problem in a trailer park, very respectful folks live there, very nice.

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I will do it every week or 2 depending ou the childs sleeping patterns (I have commercial mowers, they can handel it), and charge for cutting as usual

10. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I too have commercial mowers but even now with it being as dry as it is, I am cutting one yard at 4" and it is almost too short with the fert company putting straight ammonia nitrate on the lawn. I am already double cutting and I can only go to 4.5 with my 727a.

I hope they slow down with the N in the summer. These places are lush enough as it is.