1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer parks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnman_scott, Jan 23, 2007.

1. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

What would you have done?

We are at this trailer park and some idiot was outside playing with their about 6 month old baby (a guess, it wasnt walking yet), so I finally had to mow there and still they stayed out. I mowed by blowing away from them till I got too close. I told my employee to either tell them he could do it if they went inside, or skip it. I made it clear though DO NOT F-ING DO IT IF THEY ARE OUT WITH THE BABY. He skipped it, and thats fine, we arent the parents or the social worker.

So we get ready to leave and the guy comes and says we missed by his trailer. I said "we didnt miss it, we gave you every chance to go inside and you didnt". I wont work around small children with this equipment. He says "you could have asked us to go inside". I said "I shouldnt have to" and left.

What would you have done? If I have to tell a kid to get out of the way, that is fine. I dont like to have to, but its understandable. But an adult???

Its very small, only about an hour max start to finish so we couldnt really come back to that part, and its waterfront property with an elderly owner so its not like it will be around too much longer anyway. Its for sale and will be bulldozed and made into condos anyway.

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

Stopp mowing, get off, ask them to give you a few minutes to cut the grass.
  3. I have done the very same thing, same for picking stuff up there, funny next time when we went they picked everything up and went inside, if there out there in the way doesn't bother me to skip that area, and I don't tell anybody to go in, I just keep quite.
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I usually wait for 2 minutes, on the mower, with engine running full blast, staring.

If they don't get the hint, I leave.
  5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

should have said something and if he gave you lip then skip
  6. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

If someone does not have the common courtesy to let you do your job....... skip.

People like that have me wondering if they were waiting for their "payday" to shoot out from under your mower.
  7. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll see if your hint was effective next time you mow there.

Some people are slow to pick up on hints.
  8. dualsmows

dualsmows LawnSite Member

I mow a large park that has playground equip.
    More than once we would start mowing w/ no one there but once we started there would be a mother pushing her little on the swings...DUH!!!
  9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Bingo. The thing you have to remember, especially in a trailer park, people are stupid. They either don't realize the equipment is dangerous or don't have the ability to put it together. People don't stop to think that the lawn mower could toss a rock and do some serious damage. If that ever happened, they'd be the first to sue and blame you, but aren't going to get out of your way either. Just stop and ask them to move.

What really pisses me off is when they give you a dirty look or roll their eyes or act like it's a hassle to protect themselves/their kids from harm.
  10. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

some people, for some reason, don't realize how dangerous these high speed mowers can be. ask them to go inside the first time. then if they don't take the hint, carry a contract spelling out how you aren't liable for their injury and then have them read and sign it. maybe they will pick up on that. around here it is usually the older male customers who insist on standing outside and watching. kind of like watching a construction site. they need the testosterone. i make them allow me to waive liability.