1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer passed me.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by drsogr, Apr 25, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I got a trailer about 2 weeks ago, I took one look at the safety chains and knew that they would have to be changed. Unfortunately I hadn't had time yet. Well sure enough yesterday I was pulling out of my own driveway the hitch wasn't properly set down and the trailer came off, and the chains broke and the wiring pulled out of the plug. Actually the poor weld broke on the chains. I stopped, and they realized that the trailer was about to pass me, so I moved forward so that it wouldn't hit the truck. Needless to say, safety can't wait!

I rescheduled the job I had yesterday, fixed the wiring, added a break-away system and this morning I have a guy welding me on some beefier chains. I also bought a pin to put through the hitch lever to make sure that it stays in place, and to remind me to make sure its in place.

2. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

good thing nobody got hurt

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

yup, ive had mine pop off a few times, worst one was last week actually. Chains saved the trailer, our truck, and probably a car or two, it was scary! Good thinking to get that fixed now instead of waiting even longer

4. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

Why the hell didnt you have it like that to start with? You mean you didnt even have a pin though the hitch lever at all? No damn wonder

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

drsogr...I am ashamed of you..you know better than that!Don't blame it on the chain..it was all you!

6. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

even if u knew the chains werent go u should have had a pin thru...i always have mine locked...was in a truck with my uncle b4 i started landcapin on my own....comin down a road doing about 50mph when the trailer came off....scared the sh!t out of me...i bought a lock b4 i bought my trailer...fist thing i do when i move up in trailer size(which is in the next couple of weeks) is to put a break away system on it....

just be glad it was in ur driveway and not on the road...and happy no one got hurt

7. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

I cant stand to see someone hauling and it be half ass. bald tires,no pin ect. I saw this guy on the highway once, he had a tilt trailer with a john derre rider sitting in the middle of the eastbound lane. here is what caused the whole thing...
    twine holding down the trailer, no pin where it goes to keep the trailer from tilting f-ing twine. then he had no straps holding down the mower so no damn wonder it destroyed his mower. and last but not least he had electricial wire though the hitch pin hole.

8. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

A trailer passing you isn't that bad. Picture this: Towing and F/A 18 Hornet down the flight line. Tow bar comes off aircraft. Aircraft passes tow tractor. Luckily the navy has a brake rider in the cockpit just for those emergencies. Glad you got your trailer fixed. At least you werent going down the expressway.

9. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

at least an episode like this will stay with you forever, and hopefully you'll never make that mistake again.

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ouch... may be a little my fault too, I jinxed you with all my talking about getting your brakes on both axles and the BREAK AWAY CONTROLER for the brakes... Glad you got that put on there now!

Did it bang up your truck bad?