Trailer Plugs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Dec 16, 2000.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My truck and trailer has a 6 prong trailer plug. I went to borrow a friends 5x10 trailer (no brakes) and it has a 7 prong plug on it -go figure?. It seems to me that if all the trailer manufacters would have some kind of standard plug things would be a lot easier. I'm making an adaptor to link the 6 and 7 prong plugs.

2. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

OH .you think thats bad ..go to a U-Haul dealer an try an buy a plug or rent a trailer ! Those$#$#$$** have there owne wireing system!!!

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

my bass boat trailer, and my lawn trailer use the same plugs.

I'd have real problems if I had a travel trailer, I suppose.:)

GEO

4. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

My 6 x 10 and pontoon boat have 4 pin flat plugs, the pickup matches these. My C-3500 has a 6 pin round. I bought a converter from 6 pin round to 4 pin flat for under $10.00. Works out great.

Paul

5. Tomslawncare1

Tomslawncare1 LawnSite Member

I have a 31' travel trailer as well as my landscape trailer. I converted my landscape trailer to a 7 wire plug. Of course I don't use all 7 slots but I'm glad I did convert it because I just put brakes on the landscape trailer and just add the wire to the correct slot on the plug.

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I convert every trailer and all my trucks to the 7 wire RV style connector.I use the aux/batt wire in the winter to tie my V-box battery into the trucks alternator,no more weak battery.I also have a light on the trailer that gets its power thru this wire,and the breakaway batterys charge thru this wire.I also like reverse lights on the trailer,so i use all 7 wires if its got electric brakes.

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

When I bought my trailer it came with no plug, they asked what connector I had on my truck (7 prong) and thats what they put on for me.

Go buy a $3 adapter if you need to.

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Bill, From what I've been told, you can't get an adapter that to go from a 6-7 plug or a 4-6 plug. You can go the other way ,6-4 or 7-6. Thats why I had to make a home made adapter.

9. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, this is the reason I have a glove box full of 'homemade' adapters. I've probably spent at least a 100 bucks or so in the last year setting up harnesses for different trailers.

The big problem comes when you rent equipment. It seems every rental place sets their trailers up differently. I've pretty much got the system down now, but it seemed never ending. Just part of the trade I guess.

steveair

10. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I have 7 RV on all my trucks and trailers. I keep manufactured adaptors that go from 7 to 4 and 6 in the glove box in all trucks as well. They cost about $5.00 each.

I thought it was a good idea so when I rent a trailer for some reason, I was covered. Everytime I rent a trailer, the lights are busted out anyway! Go figure!