Trailer pulling.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mowemdown, Apr 7, 2002.

1. mowemdown

mowemdown LawnSite Member

I am fixing to buy a new 14' X 7' trailer to pull (2) exmark lazer hp and the rest of my equip. I was wondering if my little Dodge Dakota would pull it. It only has the V6.

2. foxslawncare

foxslawncare LawnSite Member

I would not recommend it. Time to step up to bigger truck.
    foxslawncare

3. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

4. mud_man93

mud_man93 LawnSite Member

my dad pulled a 16' with 2 garden tractors on it with his 88 dakota 3.9 leter 5 speed it hauld it fine its not the best vehical for the job but it works

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

It might not get you there fast, but it should be ok. I pulled a 6.5x14 trailer full of lawn equipment with a 4 cylinder Toyota pickup for a couple of years. Stopping that rig will be a bigger problem. Make sure you have brakes on that trailer.:)

6. DaveK

DaveK LawnSite Member

Take a look in the owners manual. It should list the max towing capacity for your truck.

7. mowemdown

mowemdown LawnSite Member

My Dakota is rated for a towing capaity of 8000 lbs. I think all I'll need is brakes on the trailer.

8. DaveK

DaveK LawnSite Member

The owners manual is full of useful information isn't it? :)
    Looks like you don't have to step up to a bigger truck after all.

9. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

My Sonoma did ok, but it was obvious that it was putting some serious wear on the truck. I did the smart thing and bought a 2000 Ford F-250 super duty. I saved that little trucks life and now I use it for bidding and as a backup. Your Dakota might do a little better as its a mid size truck (Dodge states). I think its time for a full size with a V8.

10. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

\

Mowemdown,
    Not to be smart or anything, but i really don't think that your Dakota is rated to tow 8,000 lbs. My parent's 5.3 V8 Silverado with a 3.42 rear end is rated at around 7,500 lbs. My Silverado 4x4 with the 4.3 V6 5 speed and 3.73 is rated at 4,500 lbs. I'm thinking that maybe you confused the V8 Dakota for your truck with the V6 when you were looking at the owner's manual. I really don't see your truck being rated for much over what my Silverado is. Again, please don't take what i said the wrong way. Best of luck to you.

Tim:)