1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Purchase

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Bstep.1, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Bstep.1

Bstep.1 LawnSite Member

I am looking to purchase a trailer and found a 7ft wide x 10ft wide for $895 or a 7ft x12ft for $945. First off is this a good price for a trailer. Secondly I am considering the 7ft x12ft but wonder if I am just getting to big of a trailer.
    Currently I just have a 21" walk behind, but would like to get a 36".
  2. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I could justify it, if you get a bigger trailer it will allow you go put alot of stuff on it, eventually if you plan on getting big, you could fit two WB's, or a 1 wb and a ztr on that trailer. It will also save you the hassle of selling the smaller trailer and buying the bigger one.
  3. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

i would go with 7x12
    I started out with a 36" wb on a 7x16 2 axle trailer rated for 12k#
    Dont worry about a little over kill
  4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 7x20 rated at 10K. I hate whenever I need that particular trailer and have only one mower on it (maybe hauling some pine straw to an account, etc.). It bounces my SuperZ like a ball. Once in a while, overkill can be a pain in the arse.
  5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I started out with a 6x12. It wasn't long before I got a 7x16. IMHO, buy bigger than you think you need to allow room for expansion.
  6. Bstep.1

Bstep.1 LawnSite Member

Looks like I will be getting the 7x12 thanks to the good advice.
  7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

My smallest is 20' and thats too small
  8. iakentdoz

iakentdoz LawnSite Member

I am going to get a new trailer next week. I was told to get a Tandem Axle Trailer and bigger is better. I will be getting a H&H 7x16 Solid Side Flatbed Tandem Axle Trailer . I looked at a 5x12 trailer from Menards, Price is 760.00 and the trailer looks just a cheep! I rather get a little more trailer than I need now then make more trips and pay high gas prices.
  9. B&D Lawn Care

B&D Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I started w/ a 5x10 and it wasan't long before I needed the extra space. I feel like I went from a shack to a manision when I bought my 6.5x12. Like they say it's always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
  10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Buy what fits your needs now, Trailers are so cheap just buy more as you need them.