Trailer question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnstar, May 15, 2001.

1. Lawnstar

Lawnstar LawnSite Member

I have a 12 foot tandem axle trailer thats too small. I am
    thinking about ordering a 16 foot tandem axle trailer with a side
    gate, rear drop gate, 2 feet side mesh, electric brakes on rear axle,
    new wheels, heavy duty tongue, wired with lights.

The reason I want the side gate is so I can run my toro 37 inch walk
    behind up on the trailer without having to shift everything around. The side gate is 4 ft. x 4 ft. My question is will the 4 foot
    length be long enough for the deck on the toro to clear? Since I am special ordering I can get any size I want, but it may cost me a little more.

Does these prices sound reasonable? Memphis, TN area
    $1,399.00 Trailer (6.6 ft. x 16 ft.)
    $150.00 Side gate
    $125.00 Electric brakes
    $1,674.00 Total plus tax

The owner of the trailer place does not negotiate on price, take it or leave it.

Also could anyone post some pictures of their trailers with trimmer, blower and jungle wheel racks, cages, gates etc. so I could get some new ideas? Sorry I don't have a digital camera or I would post a picture of mine.

Thank you.
    Lawnstar

2. Highpoint

Highpoint LawnSite Member

Think about your question. You say you want the side gate for your WALKBEHIND. Are you thinking? Consider the angle of approach and the angle over at the top. What is the problem. Why would your deck scrape? Not trying to be an a$$. Are they charging $125.00 extra just for the brakes or does that price include the axle? The ramp sounds about right. Building anything with expanded metal is a headach and a chore to weld up if done correctly. Around here you can pick up the same size (basic)trailer for around $900. Adding the sides sounds about right.

3. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Can't offer any useful input on the subject of pricing (other than up here in Canada our dollar is worth about 1/2 what yours is :( ) but I would like to make one suggestion: Get brakes for both axles.

Maybe it's just a holdover from my truck driving days, but I'd feel better knowing all my trailer axles are helping slow me down when the brakes are on!

4. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'm in Memphis. That doesn't sound too bad. But, there is a company in Paris TN that builds them and delivers here 2 times a week. I looked his stuff over this winter and the quality is good and his trailers start a little cheaper than the local dealers. He will special make anything you want.

I've seen several trailers with the side gate, it works great. Wish I had one.

6. Lawnstar

Lawnstar LawnSite Member

Highpoint, the $125.00 price includes the axle.

Lawnstar

7. Lawnstar

Lawnstar LawnSite Member

Hey Hoss, what's the name of this trailer place
    in Paris? Also, where do they deliver them? Thanks.

Lawnstar

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I can't think of the name right now, but I'll find out. They deliver to the Sherwin Williams store in Bartlett on Hwy 70. Email me tomorrow to remind me.
    Eric

9. Highpoint

Highpoint LawnSite Member

Good Deal!:cool:

10. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

Hoss, I think the name of the company is Running Bear Trailers or something similar to that. The paint store is right next to Bartlett Small Engine if you know where that is, and they deliver on sat. They run an add in the Com. Appeal that lists sizes and prices if you want to take a look.