1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Question....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Sup3rman, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Sup3rman

Sup3rman LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy a trailer within the next few days. I don't have any previous experience with buying a trailer and would appreciate any input. I have a smaller ZTR and a 21" walkbehind that I need to haul around. Just for starters, I was figuring on a 5'x8' open trailer.

While looking around lately, I have seen some open trailers with a steel mesh floor. I know you get what you pay for, and these are relatively cheap, but I am only planning on using this for one season and upgrading next season when I need to (well, hopefully I need to).

Anyway, I'm a little wary of the steel mesh floor. Does anyone have experience with this? I am not hauling a lot of weight on the trailer and I am thinking I should be alright. Anyone have any knowledge on how it will hold up?
  2. JG Landscaping

JG Landscaping LawnSite Member

One of my trailers is a 12 ft with expanded metal floor (mesh). For one thing its a heck of a lot lighter than my trailer with wood floor and cheaper if your trying to save some money. It does however have some sagging in between beams, nothing major or to worry about though. I would not get an 8 foot if i were you. It may seem like enough room now, but its probably not! If you have enough work now try to put up a few more bucks for a bigger trailer so you dont have to buy another next year. Good luck
  3. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any experience with the mesh floor trailers, but as the previous poster said don't get a 8' trailer. At the very least i'ld get a 10 if not a 12. I currently have a 4/8 trailer and kick myself every day for buying that thing.

A trailer, unlike mowers, can be used for much more than just your lawn busness, so get something that gives you some options. They are also so cheap it just doesn't make much sense to go cheap and regret it (i was looking at a nice, fairly heavy duty, 6/12 open trailor today with duel rear ramps and a side ramp. price was only 1400 new)
  4. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Thats the same thing i got except with only 1 rear ramp. I love it its great.
  5. CutsForLess

CutsForLess LawnSite Member

When you start taliking about flat bed trailers there is not much difference in price from 8' to 12' to 16', I would get as big as you can to start because no matter what you think there is never enough room. I started out with a 16' that I already had and welded me a gate on the back. I got tired of having to load and unload all the time so this year I got a 16' enclosed trailer and it is great. I save a lot of time and have it rigged out where everything is easy access, plus I can get back in my shop. Just my thoughts if you think you can get by with a trailer get one four feet longer.
  6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

If you're only using it this season and planning to upgrade next season, why buy a trailer twice? It will be cheaper for you in the long run to buy the larger trailer. Even if your mower doesn't take up all the space on it, there's room there for clippings or debris if you're doing a clean-up.
  7. Sup3rman

Sup3rman LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies guys. The main thing I was worried about was how the metal would hold up. After reading the suggestions to get a bigger trailer, I'm leaning on doing just that. Makes sense to grow into a bigger trailer instead of having to buy a second one. Thanks again.
  8. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Where in Ny are you? Were you looking at these trailers at a box store or a dealer?
  9. Sup3rman

Sup3rman LawnSite Member

Orange County, NY.....I was looking at both box stores and a local trailer dealer. Both had the metal mesh floors. I wanted to hear some real experience/suggestions and not some salesman BS before looking again.
  10. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

I've often seen people put plywood down on top of the expanded metal (mesh) floor. But for me, the mesh floor version would have to cost ALOT less in order to have to modify it right off the bat. :)