Trailer Question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GravelyGuy, Oct 21, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Is it normal for the wheels of a tandem axle trailer to sit a little staggered? Like one tilted in and the other slightly tilted out? Also, I looked underneath my trailer and I noticed that both axles are not perfectly horizontal like this_____. They curve up a little.

The reason I ask is because my trailer got dominated yesterday at a construction sight when it slid off the edge of the road:cry: I will try to post some pics. It has Dexter axles if that matters.

Thanks...

2. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

I don't think that is normal at all. My axles are straight. If my wheels tilt, I know it's time to replace the bearings.

3. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

You never start to notice anything like this until something happens and you have time to sit around and worry about it. The only thing that makes me think the axles are normal is they are both the exact same way. I will go out and try to get a pic, but it may not come out in the dark.

4. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

i am pretty sure the axels empty should bow up slightly as far as the tires and hubs rolling out on turns mine does and all have. trailers are always a nightmare

5. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Here is a few pics. One from the front, one from the back, and another shot of the damage. I was able to bend the light back to its normal spot.

Trailer Damage 001.jpg

Trailer Damage 002.jpg

Trailer Damage 003.jpg

6. GAskidsteer

GAskidsteer LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

The bow that you see is called the "camber". Very noticeable on mobilehome axles, although all trailer axles should have a certain amount. The idea is that when loaded, an axle will bend down in the middle and by having this "camber" in it, it will allow the wheels to run in a vertical/plumb position causing equal wear across the tread face on the tire as well as loading equally the sidewalls. Hope this helps.

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Your fine. Exactly what the above poster said is 100% correct. The stagger in the wheels is probably from a little binding when turning. They should be somewhat inline as you are going straight and not just coming out of a turn.

8. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

I have same issue tanden wheels twist etc on turns. Bit scary on real tight turns as feel my wheel nuts are going to pop off. They been doing this for past 3 and half years and have to reqular tighten wheel nuts up.

9. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

Those look right, my trailer is always loaded so I guess I never noticed it (the bow) before. Is that a Big Tex? I have a 70TV that looks just like that.

10. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Yeah it is a 70TV. How much did you pay for your if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for the help, I'm glad it's normal.