1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Premo Services, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I am replacing the boards on my trailer, and need to know what kind of paint that you would use to protect the wood, and not be too slick when it is wet?
    Any Ideas
  2. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I'd use treated lumber and not paint the floor, but if you must paint it, mix some sand in with the paint and the floor will not be slick when wet................Lynn
  3. dmbhmg

dmbhmg LawnSite Member

I would make sure to use green treated lumber, or lumber with some sort of preservative. I think there is a paint out there with sand in it, and it's used for non-skid applications, and also check in to non-skid pads or stickers, that you can just stick on. Maybe some wire mesh tacked to the boards would do the trick also. Hope this helps......
  4. Hookset

Hookset LawnSite Member

I covered the floor on my 10 foot trailer with carpet, it makes it skid proof and last about a year. Either use treated lumber or use burnt oil to treat it. The carpet works great on a tilt trailer.
  5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

interesting, anyone got any ideas for carpet? pros and cons, on my trailer i have wood preserver on it, but like the carpet idea
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

A guy who did some carpentry for us at our house had a 6x10 or so trailer with a gate and the bottom was lined with plank sized peices of galvanized steel. Had the standard angle iron sides. He said he'd had it about ten years and got it new and when the wood rotted off he had "them" put on the galvanized stuff. real cool lookin. My trailer (middle link on sig.) is not painted on the inside just outside. has plank sides and bottom. on the front board and the front couple feet on each side boards someone started to paint it with some sort of severe weather paint that's black but didn't finish it. I just got it a week ago and it seems like a dandy. But i like the galvanized idea but it would seem expensive too but would last forever..
  7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Have you thought about using a stain instead of paint? Not a "solid-color" stain, because they are basically paint. Stain soaks into the wood, leaving the rough finish, but protecting the wood.
  8. King City Lawns

King City Lawns LawnSite Member

Carpet sounds like a very bad idea to me. Does your floor last more than one year? Seems like it would hold moisture in and speed the decay process on the floor.
    Would be best to go with teated lumber and then just retreat as needed.. This would last much longer long term I think.

As for the idea of expanded steel on the floor good idea as long as you will never haul anything other than a mower... Try to fork mulch off of that floor, ouch!!!!!!!
  9. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

I stain the deck on my trailer every year. the wood is PT but have found out the hard way that presure treating does not last forever, also trailer looks like a million bucks.
  10. Hookset

Hookset LawnSite Member

Mr King City Lawns, for your information the trailer has treated lumber. It is a tilt trailer, the carpet is used for traction. The carpet is a commercial grade and it does dry pretty quick, the 2bys have a 1/4 inch between them so it gets air from underneath. The carpet only last about a year due to wear. You don't need the carpet if its not a tilt trailer. The carpet works better than non-skid paint because it needs to be reapplied as it wears also. Treated wood does not last forever, thats why boat builders are getting away from wood. Non treated wood can be treated with burnt oil. There you go bad ideal that works!