Trailer question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lawnkid14, Aug 21, 2011.

1. lawnkid14

lawnkid14 LawnSite Member

looking at buying a new trailer im looking at a
    single axle 14 foot open no brakes
    tandem axle 14 foot open no brakes
    tandem axle 16 foot open no brakes
    tandem axle 16 foot open brakes

need to haul at least one zero turn possibly a second and a 36" walk behind could i get away without brakes or is it better to fork up the money thanks

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Get brakes on both axles and a good proportial brake controller. Its money well spent.

3. get the brakes.

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Definitely get one with brakes. I doubt the trailer will have both axles equipped with brakes. You really would need both axles to brake the trailer. If you had a large trailer with a 10 ton rating and you're hauling a back hoe then I could see the need but not for a small 14ft or 16ft dual axle.

5. Gianninilandscaping

Gianninilandscaping LawnSite Member

what kind of truck are you hauling it behind... i would get a trailer with breaks, and tandem axels. the reason being is with a tandem setup you can put more weight on it when your company grows (as long as its plated for the weight) it wont wear down the breaks on the truck as fast and it wont bounce around behind your truck as much as a single axel would. if money isnt that big of a deal i would also spend the money on an enclosed trailer, you can lock all your stuff up and keep it out of the weather rather than having to put it in the garage or shop every night plus its a bigger space to advertise your company just by driving down the road... thats just my opinion...

6. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Some states you have to have brakes on both axles. They can sell them but you cant pull it legally. Better check your state for laws before you buy.

7. HartselleLawnEnforcement

HartselleLawnEnforcement LawnSite Member

Brakes, definitely. I use a 16 footer that was given to me that has no brakes..I hate stopping.. I feel like I'm going to blast through a red light.. fork up the money. You won't regret it.

8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I owned a 14' trailer with no brakes a couple years ago and currently own an 18' trailer with brakes. There is a huge difference in stopping ability! Both trailers were towed by 3/4 ton trucks.

With my current 18' trailer, I can stop almost like I can without a trailer on. Between my tow/haul mode on the truck and the brakes on the trailer, stopping is not an issue. With my old truck/trailer combo, when I had no trailer brakes, it definately took much longer to stop.

Get the 16' with brakes, you'll thank yourself for the added safety and less wear on your truck.

9. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

And yet again...... two axels and brakes!

I actually got rid of my 16 foot aluminum tandem... and got a steel 14 foot tandem. For what I do the 14 works out better.

10. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

tandem 16 with brakes. will save your truck from destroying itself.