trailer question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Dec 6, 2000.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i made homemade boat trailer and i got regular small trailer wheels on it i want to raise the height of the trailer .i was wondering since it a five lug trailer tire can i put 5 lug car donuts on the trailer.that should raise it up fairly high and i will probally be able to do like 55 to 60 mph....
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

As long as clearence allows you should be able to.
  3. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Car doughnuts only have a life of around 300 miles (as well as the speed restriction you pointed out). Maybe look to a junkyard for rims and tires that wil fit. You know, American Racing white wagon wheels are only about $25-$30 each new. I would go with a real tire though. If you use the doughnut and it blows and you are out of service for 1/2 day with running to the shop and waiting around, you may loose more money than if you buy new now.

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Go to a good tire shop they should be able to get you any height of tire to fit that bolt pattern. I went the opposite way with my trailer, I have an ex camper trailer that had 15" regular tires on it. I changed it to real low profile trailer tires so that the trailer sits real low, my ramp is only 30" long.
  5. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

thanx i will check it out ..........