Trailer Question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jeffh1988, Sep 3, 2004.

1. jeffh1988

jeffh1988 LawnSite Member
    from MS

I have just had a 12' trailer custom made for me. Good trailer, made of square tubing, and has a wood floor, but i have one complaint; the guy made my gate to short. It is 3 and 1/2 foot i beleive. If i don't park in the right spot the mowers won't go on or off. I was just wondering how long the gate needs to be, this is after i have bent 3 blades and a hanging system on a new JD. I have talked to the guy and he said he would make a gate to my specs no charge... so i need specs!!
  2. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

well how high is your the A$$ end of the trailer when its empty? Loaded?
  3. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

my trailer has deck height of 20 1/2 inches and a 4' gate was not enough! I had to build an extension of a little over 2'

My new trailer will have drop axles ! That will lower the deck height to around 15 1/2 to 16" which will help alot
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

my 6 x 12 is about 20" off the ground, give or take a couple. has a 4' gate and thats just fine for the Ferris Z. The new 22' trailer i'm building is also 20" off the ground and the gate i made 5' long to ensure no scraping at all. Have him make you a 5' gate i think that'd be plenty unless your deck sits higher that 22" or so... you did lift the mower deck up into transport position right?
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I'm doing fine with a 4' gate also. But also take into account my trailer rocks down, flattening the gate angle as I drive on. If I were you, I'd go with a 5' or 6' gate....

FSM.... I'm dissappointed in you... where is the review on the Ferris Z???? Or did I miss it somehow?????????
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I am gonna give you one piece of advice that may or may not be relevent. If you store your trailer in a garage make sure your new gate will back into that garage without rippng the header out.
    I know its too late and probably not practical but I have seen dovetails on longer trailers that reduce the need for very tall gates. If you have a real inventive welder, you can have him design a hinged 2 piece gate that folds out and down to save height.
    Good Luck.
  7. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

The ramp should also be arched, this smooths out the angle between the ramp and the trailer. This helps a lot.
  8. Duron22

Duron22 LawnSite Member

This would be a pain in the @$$, however if your bending blades and unable to get your mowers into the trailor you might want to try this:

Keep a piece of wood in your truck/trailor to take the trailor off the hitch of your truck and lift it as high as you can. I say keep a piece of wood for two reasons.

1. Won't dig into pavement (had huge problem with that on my own property, big mess! I didnt imagine that would happen but it was a big mess)

2. the higher the block
    the higher the jack can go
    the higher the front of the trailor
    the lower @$$ end of the trailor
    the lesser the slope of your gate
    the less problems you have w/ your mower!

(temperary/emergency solution)