Trailer questions???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by MOWEMJEFF, Apr 16, 2008.

1. MOWEMJEFF

MOWEMJEFF LawnSite Senior Member

I want to put some plywood on the sides of my trailer for the next few weeks to haul mulch around. I only have an f150 without a dump bed and I have a 6 yard, 8 yard, and 23 yard mulch jobs. How many yards can I put on a 14 foot single axle trailer? It can hold 2000lbs before its over the legal limit. I'm not gonna be driving far so I can probly push that threshold a little. If I'm doing this would I still be able to put more mulch in my bed? And I plan on putting as much as possible over the axle so as to put less stress on the tounge. Any thoughts?

Delivery is out of the question my profit on material goes out the door if I do.

2. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

i'd say 3-4 yards of mulch.
    You could put another yard or so of mulch in the bed of the truck, depending what size your engine is.

The best people to ask about the weight of the mulch is from the people that you're buying it from.

For the 23 yd job, see if you can't get it delivered, b/c emptying the bed and trailer is going to be really hard on the back, plus your fuel costs.

Also, even though you can overload the truck and trailer, if the cops pull you over and weigh the truck you could get hefty fines. Around here the cops sometimes hang out outside the wholesaler yards and look for obviously slumping trucks. just something to remember.

3. french's lawn care

french's lawn care LawnSite Member

I have a small 5x10 trailer that has only a 2000 lb axle in it and I ripped a piece of 1/2 inch plywood down the center so i have two two foot tall walls and it will hold 2 yds of mulch perfectly i put it over the axel and there is minimal tongue weight but that is all the trailer will haul, hopefully i will get a bigger one next year haha

4. MOWEMJEFF

Why did you have to move it??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Can't you just change the title to mulch questions and put it back????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Its got 3 views in this forum...in the commercial forum it would have 5 replies by now...i want this advice for tomorrow, it will take 1 week to get the same amount of responses here that it would get overnight in the commercial forum, theres 40 people viewing here and 350 in that forum. LAME.:mad:

5. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

If you really wanted answers that quickly, you should maybe try either asking the question earlier than when you need the answer, or try going to a Ford Enthusiasts website.

Just saying moaning to the moderators doesn't usually work. :)

6. MOWEMJEFF

I just got the idea yesterday...it doesn't matter I went with it anyways...check it.

IMG00157.jpg

7. MOWEMJEFF

15$ and about 15 minutes...put 3 yards on it and 2 yards in the truck twice today, unfortunately I had class till noon or that could have been 3 times. Definitly saved probly 2 hours of time and as you can see I pulled it right next to a bed had a guy filling a wheel barrow while I dumped one and after it filled start pitching it right into the bed while he was waiting for me to dump the barrow until there was piles across every bed then we both went and hand spread it.

8. french's lawn care

french's lawn care LawnSite Member

same thing i do glad it worked for you

9. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I have a 14ft single axle as well. I have been able to put 3.5 yards on the trailer before with no problems. I'm thinking the next time I need mulch I'll test it out at 4 yards but I'm thinking 4 will be maxing out my legal weight.

10. MOWEMJEFF

I put 4 on the other day and 2 in the truck...definitly maxing it out. I was only going about 3 miles though and needed 6-7 yards and having to go back means driving almost 10 minutes each way and the time it takes to pay, wait for someone to load it(which can take 5-10 minutes sometimes), and then loading it. So I figure it saved at least half an hour maybe 40 minutes by not doing 2 loads of 3. .