Trailer Questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GLS, Aug 17, 2002.

1. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi, I am looking into purchasing a new trailer. I currently use a small 4'x8' trailer that hauls the rider. I am looking for something a little bigger that can also carry a couple of trim mowers and the hand-held equipment, and maybe even some loads of mulch etc.

I havn't looked around much, but I don't want anything bigger than a 6'x12' because my garage isn't big enough for a larger trailer.

I ran across a new 6x12 open landscape trailer (barron fabrication) with siderails and a ramp gate. No brakes, but I won't be hauling much (being towed with half-ton by the way).

Price is $1200, is that high?

2. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I'd check with Capt. Devo. He was selling some pretty nice trailers.

The age old advice (from here) ...you may want to go with a little larger trailer. I had struggled with trying to fit it all on a 12' then I wrecked it and wanted to find a 14'. I could only find a 16' and I am VERY glad I went with it.

3. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

That trailer would go for about 2k in my area. Trailers are expensive around here. I got a 5x10 I paid $1700 for.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Dang that is high. I just bought a new one last week. !6", tandem axle, aluminum tread fender wells, 4" gate, electric brakes and emergency "break away" brakes, 1" side rails which are removable, all for $1340.

MATT

5. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

One of the many perks of living in Wa. State. lol

6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess it depends on your area. Around here a heavy duty 16' dual axle with drop gate goes for about $1200.00. I am also one of the people who started out with a 6x12 and out grew it rather quickly. Good advise to go with a bigger trailer than you need at the time. Good luck.

7. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

we have trailers in s.e. iowa (Ft. Madison) and west central florida (Tarpon Springs)

click here to view

i have a special on a 6x16 lawn service, tandem 3500# axles, New 15" tires and white spoke wheels, 4' gate, 1 trimmer rack, 2x8 treated floor, fold-up jack, light protectors, etc. without mesh sides $1099

i also have a few used ones!

i'm 1.5 hours from the quad cities.

[​IMG]

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

No way would that trailer cost $2,000 around here. $1200 tops i would think. And trailers are even cheaper in the midwest.

9. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

plus that pic of that trailer looks like it would have alot of tounge weight
    i would shop around some more .search around on h&h's site there are a ton of dealers in IA and a few in IL plus they will custom build your trailer to what ya need

http://www.hhtrailer.com/

10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

CaptDevo,
    That is a very reasonable price on that trailer. My only concern would be what type of steel is used for frame, gate and screening. I purchased a 1999 6X16 carry on and a 2000 6X12 carry-on. Both trailers will hold the equipment used by each crew, but...
    1. The tailgates used angle iron for supports and edges as ooposed to c-channel - can't haul a skidsteer.
    2. screening material is very light weight and rider/standers bust through screen w/in a year. We replaced w/ very heavy expanded metal at a cost of about $300/trailer.

Price should not always dictate purchase. Some trailer manufacturers have higher prices, but their quality warrants that.

Bob