Trailer Ramp Angles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcwlandscaping, Jul 27, 2005.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

This saturday i am picking up a brand new Exmark Metro 48 with the whole line of accessories.The problem is is that I think the ramp on my trailer is too steep and need to know beforehand if I will need to make it bigger. If someone else has a large wb and puts it in a trailer, could you shre the grade of the ramp. THANKS

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I would of had to fabricate a longer ramp for my toro ztr but i opted for the easy route. I put lower profile tires on my trailer. Went from a 205/75 15 to 195 60 15 and it lowered it just perfect.

3. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

you can either just push down on the handle bars so the deck clears as you go from the ramp onto the trailer or you can raise the front of the trailer more. If you have a single axle that will not be a problem. If you have a tandem axle like I do it will put more wear on the back tires as they will carry more weight. The receiver on my truck is flipped so there is no like 2.5" drop its more no drop or .5" raise. I have no problem pushing down on the handle bars. I find that to work well along with the trailer being tilted slightly.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I made some step type ramps that go partway under the gate.I even put strap handles on them and just toss them into the back of the trailer. When I get ready to drop the gate, I just put them down in the proximity that the edge of the gate will drop at. To pick them up, I just step on the end and the strapped end comes right up to me - like a skateboard.
    I'll tell you the best remedy I've heard for this...next to extending the gate. This comes from Eric Ericson. What he did, so his Dixie Choppers would clear the deck at the top of the gate was this... He carefully watched where the front wheels were when the deck started to scrape. At that point, he marked the spot at the back of the trailer deck. He then cut a piece of 2x4 and put it across the floor (screwed down) of the trailer just to the rear of the marked spot. This way, when the mower reached the top of the gate, as the front wheels traveled over the top, they would go over the 2x4's, allowing clearance for the deck. You could even plane down the edges to allow for a smoother roll over the 2x4.

5. jordydme

jordydme LawnSite Member

Learn form my nightmare-ish experience that took place this week. I will spare you the details and just post what I learned the hard way after a lot of grief

For a heavy duty trailer that is heavely sprung and has high ground clearance like my 9500# utility trailer. You will probably need a 5' gate. The 4' gate I had caused all sorts of dangerous saftey issues not to mention gouging the deck.

Make sure you have a gate that attaches closely to the trailer. I had a four foot gate that attached via a heavy duty hinging mechanism which created a 6 inch gap between the trailer and the gate. This was majorly problematic for me and my lawn care equipement.

Lastly, if yo haven't purchased the mower yet bring your trailer with you to try it out at the mower dealer. If you have no way to try out the trailer with the equipemnet before hand, explain the situation to the dealer. Don't register the trailer until you know it will work becuase the dealer will give you a hard time taking it back without the title. Titles can take some time to come back form the DMV. As you know, you can't resell something without a title and dealers don't like that.

Hope this helped,
    Jordyd

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

That is the best and most cost effective idea so far. Thank your friend for me!

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you are talking about Eric's idea, if you just look upward and say "Thank you, Eric." He will hear you. He's used to it and hears it many times. If you listen close, you can even hear him say "You're welcome."