trailer ramp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ToG, Mar 6, 2003.

1. ToG

ToG LawnSite Member

i need some ideas.... i finally have all my equipment together, just picked up my new toro wb and when i went to put it on the trailer, i realized that the ramp is at too steep of an angle (didn't think of that). i have a hard time getting the mower up onto the trailer, it wants to spin the tires and kicks around a bit. i already scratched up the bottom of the deck. i know i'll catch hell for this but my trailer is only a 5x8. i know it's too small, but i'm on a budget, i wanted quality equipment while working with limited funds. the trailer will be big enough for now, all it needs to carry is my wb and a pusher. anyone have any ideas on how to modify the trailer to solve this problem? the guy at the toro dealer said to crank the jackstand down while connected to the truck to lessen the pitch of the ramp. one problem though, i don't yet have a jackstand, gonna get one, but even still, i'm not sure that will work. i need a cheap solution, maybe like some plate that i could fab that slides under the bottom of the ramp, but size/weight is going to be crucial.

thanks for any suggestions, Dustin:confused:

2. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Either get a different hitch with a higher rise or put a couple of blocks under the end of the gate, either way will cut down on the angle of the gate.

3. GCS LawnService

GCS LawnService LawnSite Member

I would probably get a welding shop to fabricate another ramp that would work but make it longer which would decrease the angle. I would prefer that the ramp be at least 5' long or longer if applicable.

"Nothing Runs Like A Deere" :blob2:

4. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I agree with bruce. Get a drop hitch and flip it upside down. You can't just wheelie it into the trailer? We used to do that with ours so they wouldn't scrape although we were riding a sulky so it may have made that easier. How long is your current ramp?

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

No...No...No Your trailer tongue is supposed to sit level connected to your truck.

I would imagine your trailer is open? If it is, more than likely your gate is meshed. You can just extend the length of the gate by a couple of inches, to change the angle. If you have a welder and can do it yourself, it will only cost you a couple of bucks. :cool:

6. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe ge a fab shop to build you an arch style drop gate

7. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

Had the same problem. Turned my reciever hitch upside down to get it a little higher and throw 2 wood blocks (1 1/2" thick) under the edge of the gate when I drop it. Next trailer will have a 5' ramp gate instead of the 4' I got on the present trailer.

8. hoffmanlandscaping

hoffmanlandscaping LawnSite Member

I wouldn't alter your hitch you want your trailer to set level when loaded to your truck or you will run inot problem with the trailer swaying. I had the same problem with my scag I jut simple push down on the handle when loading to make it do a wheelie at the top of the ramp to clear the deck. Wasn't no problem at all.

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Possible solutions:

1. Have a longer ramp made for your trailer

2. Sell your trailer and get one with a longer ramp.

3. Put a 2x8 board cut to the same width as your trailer ramp under the end of it between the ramp and the pavement. It will lower the angle of attack you're working with slightly. Sometimes this will make enough difference to solve clearance problems.

4. If it's a walk behind, wheelie the mower onto the trailer if your mower isn't too front heavy.

5. Set your trailer hitch ball a little higher via use of receiver bar. Sometimes you can just reverse it, sometimes you have to buy another bar. I am almost positive it's not a problem to have a moderate rearward slope to your trailer floor, as long as the load itself is properly balanced so that tongue weight is proper. (how would the axle even know????) I've done this for 11 years on my setup w/ nary a problem. I repeat, the load balance is the key.

10. ToG

ToG LawnSite Member

thanks for all the ideas. as far as popping a wheelie goes, that is what i try and do. however my toro has t-bar controls and i've never really used them before. i am used to running wb with pistol/brake lever style controls. i have not yet mastered the t-bar, it seems that in this instance the pistol grips would be more suited for controlling wheelies. the trailer being only 5 feet wide poses a prolem, the toro has a 44 inch deck, so i only have a few inches on each side to jump around with. a friend of mine has a welder, so i think we'll try to extend the ramp, right now i think it's about 4 feet long. do you think placing the extension on hinges would work? you know, fold down the ramp and fold out the extension. only reason for that is, i don't want the ramp to be so tall, not that it would really matter that much. just a personal preference i guess.