trailer ramps-

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy82, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Hello everyone. I was just wondering about something I have been seeing over the past year or so in my area. The trailer that I own has a 4' long ramp with heavy duty mesh on it, one piece ramp. Now something that I have seen over here, more than once is that guys are using heavy equipment trailers to move walk behinds, and ZTR's for regular cutting. Do any of you guys use the heavy equipment trailers for this? Not massive ones- maybe 7 ton or so?

2. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

I don't..
    Seems like a waste of trailer to me.

David

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Who concentrated on hardscaping and used skid steers / mini - x's, and tractors, etc, more than the lawn equipment. They were'nt big enough to have thir own maintenance traielr or anything, they just did a few lawns for "choice" clients to keep some regular income coming in.

They used a 5 and 6 ton small equipment trailer for their mowers for the few times a week they went out.

I agree, its a waste of trailer if the mowers is all your hauling, but in their case, they were making the trailer as profitable as possible. They were doing anything BUT wasting trailer!

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I havent seen anyone hauling Commercial Mowing equipment for service contracts on a Bri-Mar/Eager beaver style trailer yet.

I have seen the same style loading ramps on twin-axle landscape trailers that second as a Construction trailer though.

Kris

5. Kris, I am not sure, possibly it was the heavy equipment ramps on the landscape trailer, however I highly doubt it.

6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, they were the same style slotted or tung ramps that you see at the back of the tonage trailers.

They look the same although they may not have been the same thickness or gage. They were definitely not a gate or split-gate style ramp.

They were the same style 6x16/double axle/angle iron/a-frame/ball coupler not pintle hook trailers that would be use for mowing. Only difference were the gates.

Kris

7. Kris, the trailers I am referring to, they are definatley construction trailers because they dont have the sides on them. All they have is that small piece of metal there. Otherwise its just a roller trailer, or a bobcat trailer, etc. I was wondering how can you get a machine off a trailer with that kind of ramps?

8. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

yrs ago when i worked for an LCO we used a bobcat trailer w/ those heavy built in ramps. If the deck is close to wheel width no problem but when the 50" wb was needed we had a wooden ramp we put on 1 side, very stupid set up.Also when 2 ramps are pushed to sides + up nothing to stop mowers from rolling right off. the year i left 2 new guys went out w/ trailer forgot to set brakes on both mowers + they rolled off onto hiway,luckily nobody hurt or killed unless you count 2 wb's, the 2 new guys made it to shop, never evan noticed they lost 2 mowers, police already called to let boss know