Trailer Rebuild

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TRex, Dec 20, 2003.

1. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I am buying a 6x12 enclosed trailer today that has been stripped down of everything but the wheels, axle, frame and jack. It is old but only has little rust spots here and there. It is completely usable and I can pull away with out having to do anything.

Question.

1: The tires set inside the frame by about 8" on each side and I would like to spread the tires out to half in half out. Can I cut and widen the existing axle or should I buy a wider one.

2: I am not sure how many pounds the axle is and if I do replace it can I put a #5600 axle and spring set on it (since it is a single axle). Or what size axle would you put on it.

3: It has hydraulic brakes on it now. I have never used anything but electric brakes so what would I need to do to get the brakes going. Do I need brakes at all, in Texas it will be legal with out brakes.

I can't think of anything else right now but I am sure there is more to ask. Thanks...

2. TRex

from DFW ,TX

I brought the trailer home. It is better than the first time I looked at it. I still need to figure out what to do about the axle. And in the above post I meant to 5200# axle. I sure could use a little advice, Please. Thank you.

3. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

is the box still there or is that been striped too?

4. TRex

from DFW ,TX

The box is gone to. I figured up all the material I needed to enclose it and smoothed all the old welds out.I am still looking for the aluminum sheeting to wrap it in. I am still wondering if I need to upgrade the axle to the 5200# from a 3500#.

5. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

First of all.....you can cut and widen the axle if you are able to technically. In other words if you are a good welder, no junk welds. The axle should have a data plate on it somewhere that can give you and idea. Or go to a trailer dealer who sells enclosed and look at a similar size and try to get a comparison. I personally would go with a new axle. If you buy a 84" or 7' axle you should get the wheel stance you want. If you buy a cambered axle be sure to put the camber up. Remember, change the springs when you change the axle to match the weight rating. If the springs cannot handle the load then the new axle is wasted money. You are probably only going to find 3500# axles available. If thats the case consider going tandem with the trailer. Tandem would be the wise chioce in my opinion.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

hydraulic brakes are great, on the tongue is the master cylinder real easy to rebuild if it needs it, check brake lines for pin holes and the rest is the same as you would find on car or truck with band brakes. It may be legal not to have them but when you start talking about beefing up an axle I think your gonna need them. imo

Mac

7. TRex

from DFW ,TX

Thanks for the replies.

I just went ahead and bought a new axle because the old one was cambered and I did not think that would work well being widened. I am not going to use the brakes unless I feel I am being pushed, the new axle is cambered. I can take the hubs off and add the brakes back on if needed. The brakes were filled with grease and needed a complete rebuild, although the drums were still smooth.

My next order of business is to find a place to good priced aluminum sheets to cover the sides in. If anyone knows of inexpensive place to find the aluminum sheet in .040 thickness please let me know.

8. Mr_Marc

Mr_Marc LawnSite Member

Trex, Try looking at a restaurant supply house. They sell 4 X 8 sheets of stainless steel and might point you in the right direction of a supplier, or could order it for you in the material you want.

Hope this helps.
    Marc...

9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

You might try a semi-trailer dealership, one that sells and services dry vans or reefers. They will have pre-painted white panels with holes already punched for your rivets. May not be the cheapest but will sure make it easier than drilling 100's of holes and then having to pay someone to paint aluminum.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Ditto what Homer said
    Freuhuf trucking, Im not even sure there in business, use to order them I think they were around $40 each and thats been long ago. Suggestion build your frame and then cover it with a thin veneer ply. home depot sells white waterproof panels for around $10 each and the strip that covers the seam you glue them on, paint if you want but they look real good, professional not some back yard look. Put a pic up but don't know how

Mac