Trailer registration???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TROTTMAN, May 20, 2004.

1. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I almost had a trailer orded from Texas Truck and Trailer today, but I didn't because I wasn't aware on how much it was to get it registered etc. He said I would probably spend $115 after I bought the trailer and after tax. That put me up way too high so I decided to think it over and get on here and find out what all I need to do to drive a trailer legally.

What do I need?

I know I need to get the wiring for my truck (trailer will have it from factory of course)

I will have a title, but I think he said I would have to have it transfured?

What else?

How much $?

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Mine was about $90.00 I think for a 4 year transferable registration, or $140.00 for lifetime registration...which is what I chose.

3. TROTTMAN

What all is registration and what all does it include? Does it give you a license plate and everything? Is that all I have to do or is there other stuff too? Thanks.

4. gr8cutter

gr8cutter LawnSite Member

With trailers all states are different. In Oklahoma you pay sales tax. Unless you sign a waiver stating you will only use the trailer for commercial use then there is not any sales tax. You still are suppose to pay excise tax through your state taxes, but I don't think many pay.

5. TROTTMAN

Well I live in Tx, in Smith county. If any of you know anything about what I should do tell me. I am also going to call around and see if I can find any information out.

What all does the registration get me and what does it include?

6. flam41

flam41 LawnSite Member

well I'm not far from trottman, I spend 90-125 per trailor per year.
    it really sucks.

7. TROTTMAN

Why each year? Do you have to register annually or something??? Or have you just been getting new trailers or something?

8. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Yes we have to register annually.

When I registered my trailer I told them it was homemade and she just asked how much it wieghed and how much it could carry.
    Costed about $45 with plates and the registration. I told her dry weight was 600# and it had 3500# axle. She just needed a estimate wieght to put into the computer.

9. flam41

flam41 LawnSite Member

yes yearly & I have 3 trailors. I used to just switch plates around, but got caught & it was to high of a fine to do it again. I do have one "farm tagged" cost 5$ to register that, just dont get caught...

10. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

trottman, i just renewed my 3500# trailer from texas truck and trailer yesterday actually. In Dallas county it was only 42.50 to register it for another year.