trailer repair with lights...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by FLC2000, Mar 9, 2014.

1. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

Prob cause you don't have a good gnd on the trk frame for the test light
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. FLC2000

FLC2000 LawnSite Bronze Member

OK. So I got the test light to work on the truck. Cleaned off a better spot. Hooked it up and the test light is going off on the blinkers and brake lights. I think I have ruled out a problem with the truck.

Stupid question but would the break away battery being dead have anything to do with the lights and brakes not working?

3. dieselss

No. Break away has nothing to do with it. Ok so you cked pwr at the plug, but what about the trk supplied gnd to the plug? Gotta ck that too. On your trailer is everything gnded or do you just have the wire going to the frame?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. FLC2000

I think its just a wire going to the frame. I found a white wire with a metal circle on it attached to the frame of the trailer. It looks like the same setup as the ground to the truck.

5. dieselss

Threres prob half your problem. Everything is grounding through the frame and its prob rusted and not making good connection. Should ground everything though its own ground wire
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. FLC2000

Would removing it, cleaning it up, and reattaching give a cleaner ground?

7. FLC2000

I assume the white is the ground

trailer photo.jpg

8. FLC2000

Looks like Im going to have to replace it anyway. I went to unscrew it and the head busted off.

9. dieselss

The proper way is to run a ground to every load just grounding it to the frame will eventually fail
    Posted via Mobile Device