Trailer safety, or lack thereof

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Roger, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Sad story here. For those of us who pull trailers on a daily basis, heads up for safety. Yes, it was another piece of equipment, but the same thing can happen with utility trailers loaded with mowing equipment or other gear.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06104/682185-54.stm

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I know what you are saying, i see so many here with no lights, no chains,and the hitch not pinned safety first.

3. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

It infuriates me to see what some people get by with as 'safety chains', too! I've had a trailer hitch fail and the chains held it, so this is a real important item for me.

Had a friend that was hit head-on by a runaway trailer, only suffered minor injuries. Had another friend just barely missed a sheet of plywood that flew off a truck.

As a side note, it seems like every year we have somebody killed in this area while they ride in the back of a pickup, trying to hold down a mattress or refrigerator or other large object.

Just this week, I passed a pickup on the interstate that was carrying explosives (shape charges). This is no big deal, we work with them everyday in the oil business. However, this truck had loose boxes stacked up above the top of the pickup bed! Not tied down or anything! If it had a company name on the truck, they would have gotten a serious phone call.

4. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Had a buddy of mine killed like that a couple of years ago. Sad thing was I talked to his wife for twenty minutes before I asked how he was. Hed been dead almost a year.No safety chains, trailer hit him head on. Be safe.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

7. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

THAT story is the most devastating thing I have read in a very long time. May God bless that entire family.

As for the driver and the owner of the company - :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :nono: :nono: :nono: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :angry: :angry: :angry: :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin

8. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Same around here, its no surprize that this type of thing happens.

9. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i know a fellow landscaper who is also a teacher at my school. the ball for the trailer is attached to the bumber of his old toyota tacoma, the bumper i believe only has two bolts holding it to the truck. he uses chains, but i son't know if he hooks them to the frame or to the bumper. i see him everyday now at the school parking lot with his trailer, he does good work but he needs a lesson in safty and regulations.