Trailer Safety

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by linky, Jul 24, 2001.

1. linky

linky LawnSite Member

Monday morning i saw a Toyota Camry sitting sideways on the front of a 16ft. trailer. The trailer had come lose from a truck on the other side of the road crossed the median strip and hit the car head on. It appeared that the trailer had no safety chains or breakaway brake. The car was totaled and the trailer looked as though it fared well. I don't know if the driver was hurt or not. Make sure you use those chains and hook up that breakaway. I wish that i had gotten a picture.

2. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

It's a scary thing to see somthing like that and know that it could be you in either position. I had it happen to me i had chains and luckily i was in my pasture dumping grass.

3. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

That happened to me last spring, totaled the car and the trailer and the driver went to the hospital but she was ok. I had safty chians but the broke. Not a fun experiece :(

4. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

A fellow contractor I ran into years ago told me a story of someone pulling a smaller , like 6.5 X 14 or so trailer with a Mason dump and he could not see the trailer behind him. So cruising along on his way home one night he gets there and realizes that the trailer was missing.. All his equipment and all .. Not sure how the story ended exaclty but I am sure most of his equip was toast.. But fortunatly no one was hurt including cars..

5. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

On Saftey..

I usually leave the trailer hooked up to the dump for 3 or 4 days in a row depending whats going on.. SO I have gotten into the habit of checking the saftey chains and breakaway cable and lights every morning and every night before I leave .. and to take it one step further I check them during each stop I make as well.. Never can be too safe with this stuff..

6. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a Haulmark 7x16 (actually am buying it) and the breakaway seemed to just fizzle out after a while. I noticed that the thing didn't seem like it wanted to activate when I hooked it up, the light wouldn't come on. So, I've just taken the cable and wrapped it up so I didn't have to fool with the thing, since it seemed to be so much junk anyhow. Input?

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

What do you mean the breakaway starts to fizzle out?it is only needs to work for less than a minute.In nY state the fine for a breakaway that is inopperative is 1500 dollars,and State police check commercial vehicles regularly.They pull the plug,,and your wiriing,and tell you to pull forward,all the brakes better lock,and drag or its another 1000 dollars a tire that doesnt lock.I would get it fixed,maybe the battery is bad,or weak,or your charge wire to the truck isnt hooked up.

8. CSRA Landscaping

John, I didn't say that it fizzles out, I said that it fizzled out. It seemed to be a loose wire or bad battery but I never got around to checking on it. To be honest, the thought of a loose wire gave me a headache, thinking of finding the problem. Now, when the wire is pulled, the light doesn't even blink.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

10. CSRA Landscaping

John, mail checked, reply sent! :D