1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

trailer sandblasted and primed

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by FrankenScagMachines, Aug 24, 2004.

1. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I've seen some trailers use a leaf spring mounted underneath for a gate assist. I have a picture of one somewhere.
  2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Yup, I saw that pic somewhere too.. thought of it, but I think the gas shock might stay tucked up just a little closer to the trailer and provide a smoother action. Something to think about i guess. Thanks for mentioning it, i'll keep it in mind.
  3. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

What kind of primer did you use? What did they charge you to sand blast your trailer?
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Red iron oxide primer, any brand will do. I used MRO Industrial from a local parts store, but not a national chain so i don't know where all you could get it. They only had one gallon and i needed more after using that one so i got Rust Oleum "rusty metal primer" at Lowe's and it's the same thing basically.

The guy charged $75 to blast the trailer and he did the wheels and spare wheel (wheels were on the trailer of course).

I got a gas shock and brought it home, but realized that there is no good way to mount it because of the way the frame is made on the trailer, it would have to stick way too close to the ground. So i'm using two top mounted springs on the rear gate and nothing on the side gate. I ended up with lots of angle iron left over, so i'm making a side frame rail like on most trailers that will give a good platform to mount springs to, trimmer racks, etc. Also it will add some strength to the trailer (although not needed really). The sides will still be 16" high with solid Oak 1x8's mounted to it.