trailer screwed

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Toy2, May 4, 2008.

1. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay here it goes, my 16' Top Hat trailer wood floor rotted out??? I was walking on it and towards the end fall right through it....WTF??? trailer is only 3 years old??? They used white pine????? Anyway 12 hours later a new floor is done!!!!!

2. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Moisture + sunshine kills wood real fast.

Do you keep the trailer outside overnight ?

White pine !?

3. Toy2

Yes it stays outside, what gets me is the manufacture knows the crap is going to rot and make it a pain to redo. The hardest part was cutting the welds and trying to remove the front plate to allow me to install the new ones, plus the screws they used were rusting, and both ends of trailer under the boards was heavy with rust. So I had to grind that stuff off and apply a rust converter, then painted the areas before the first boards went on.
    Tools used:
    Skilsaw
    Sawzall with wood and metal blades
    Grinder with cut off and grinder wheels.
    Sledge
    Dremal with cut off
    Hammer
    Crow bar.

Plus had to rewire where I cut though the wires and I was careful.

4. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

This isn't the best way to do this, but it worked.

I have a 14' landscape flatbed - BigTex. And just like you the floor rotted out and had to be replaced. I didn't have anything to cut the plate at the front of the trailer off, so instead I took a sledge hammer to the remaining boards and broke them out pretty easily. Then I proceeded to bend (with the sledge) about a 1' section on the far front left side up. Slid all the new boards in, screwed it down and beat the front plate back down....no welding, no grinding.

5. Toy2

Not sure why they just don't have a piece of angle iron bolted at the front, this way you just unscrew it and replace the whole thing.

I know I had 10' of good wood to use, but instead had to cut it out in sections to remove it??????

I just dumped it this morning, I intend to put used motor oil on the wood to avoid it rotting again.

6. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

Did you buy the trailer from Guthrie?

7. MHM

MHM LawnSite Member

use treated lumber and be done with it. Cut the bolts, cut one end of the old boards and remove. Then cut the new boards to length, insert one end bow the center up and insert the other end may need a second set of hands replace the bolts.

8. Merlin300

Merlin300 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

I just recently replaced a floor in a 16ft. I cut a 6x6 the length of the top of the floor. (Appox. 18") I stood the 6x6 on end in the area of the front tire. Put first piece of wood in the rail at the front of the trailer. I then bent the wood over the 6x6 and held it near the rear rail, where the wood slips in. Had a helper who took a sledge and hit the 6x6, knocking it out of the way. The 2x6 pops right in.

Hopefully this helps. I took us 15 minutes total from start to finish. No cutting or welding. Second trailer I have done like this.

9. Toy2

Yes it came from Guthrie, my Top Hat stickers started fading really bad, I e-mailed TopHat, a few days later had some brand new stickers. So I'm happy with them. It looks like they weld the frames, then floor them and then paint??? So no paint under the floor, just rust...

Not trusting the pressured treated, my deck was built last year using pressure treated, now when it rains I notice one board sucks up a ton of water, I tried Thompsons, that was a joke. I might end up using a toner of some sort to protect it.

I used the skil saw to cut away a section at a time, then came back and broke the screws off, cut the bottoms with the cut off wheel. I think I need to figure a way to avoid water getting into the sides, maybe a 45 cut piece of treated on top of the wood already there to keep water out of the rails.

10. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I put artificial choice deck wood in my trailer and it was a very wise decision. Its the first and last trailer floor it will ever have.