1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Security

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chip, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

For those of you who store your trailer outside what do you do to prevent theft? What types of locking devices do you use? Has anyone ever looked into a boot for the wheel and if so where and how much are they?
  2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.trailerlock.com/ for the Tire

what we use is the "Gorilla Lock" which goes into the reciever ball area and then locks around it ....availiable at Walmart
  3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Chip, I bought mine at Smith marine for around 30 dollars. its hugs around the tounge of the trailer and locks in place making it impossible to hook up the trailer to a ball.
  4. Skolnick's Landscaping

Skolnick's Landscaping LawnSite Member

chip the tong lock is fine you use the key to turn a bolt up into the cupler and its impossible to remove unless you take the whole tongue assembly off i don't know how much they cost because i got mine with the enclosed trailer when i bought it. I'd say 30-50 dollars depending on which one you get.
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I used to put a big chain and a lock through the spokes on the wheels. If they really want it, they will get it. At least this shows your attempt to secure it! I just wish that we lived in a perfect society, and that everyone realized what goes into obtaining our personal property.

There is also personal motion sensor alarms that you could mount to it. Much like a car alarm.

Good luck,

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

look at this.... 4 people from the PA luncheon!
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

MMMMMMNNNNMMMM.....I'm gettin hungry again!!!

8. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys I think I may try a combination of the trailerlock and tong lock. Right now its just chained to a giant oak tree.
    Hey Tom I nominate you to organize the next get together. I'm hungry too!
  9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

When you guys are talking about locking your trailer up, is your equipment still on it? Or are we talking about an empty trailer? Just curious.
  10. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

Bob during the season the mowers will be locked to the trailer. It will be kept under roof but only closed on 2 sides. Kind of a giant carport. During the winter months the equipment will be kept in a garage and trailers locked under this open Barn. I'm sure using multiple security measures will help deter anyone from trying something stupid. I see other LCO's in my area leave there stuff on trailer during the season and only cover with a tarp.