trailer security

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by porterdan6, Oct 9, 2006.

1. porterdan6

porterdan6 LawnSite Member

This weekend I was the victim of some a-hole breaking into my enclosed trailer and stealing my handheld and backpack blowers as well as 2 Stihl trimmers and various tools. Thankfully they could not get the mowers out of the side door because the tariler was backed up to the garage door. They broke in through the locked side door. I guess Master locks are not as tough as they advertise. My neighbor 4 houses up had his truck, trailer and all mowing equipment stolen the same night, so maybe I was fortunate. My question is, what do you guys who use enclosed trailers do to secure your equipment beyond a lock on the door? Any help woul dbe appreciated. Thanks

2. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Throw a latch on the inside of the side door, and put a lock on it. Thats the only thing I can see working. Only problem is, you'd have to get in and out from the rear, until you unlock it. Might be worth it though.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

There was a thread awhile back about the same thing, apparantly these have the best track record because you cannot get bolt cutters on them http://www.abuslocks.com/Diskus.asp

4. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

We have one of those on our storage unti and they work great. Just keep them lubbed with something like Fluid Film because they will start to corrode a little where the lock slides.

5. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

http://www.abuslocks.com/Diskus.asp
    Good locks
    Ive got one on my locker at work
    They had a locker inspection(first on in 32+ years)
    It was my day off
    they cut a lot of locks but not mine:laugh:

6. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Try looking at the master hockey puck locks. They are basically cut proof because the shackle is not visible. It is behind the lock. here is a pic.. http://masterlock.com/apps/catalog/category.jsp?categoryId=HSL_3&target=commercial|security
    You can also put some locks on the coupler as well as a boot on your wheels. I bought one of these for my car and the trailer. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALPH...007QQitemZ170035867595QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

7. porterdan6

porterdan6 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys. I will be purchasing one of those locks today. Hopefully it will not happen again. Thanks again.

8. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I use master number 5 locks rekeyable about 10 bucks each,they are impossible to cut so you can have one key try it.

9. Greybeard

Greybeard LawnSite Member

They broke in to my box trailer a few years back by sticking a bar through the hasp and twisting the whole thing off - lock, hasp and all. Trailer doors are two thin skins over plywood. About $300 damage to the trailer, plus about $600 in lost tools, including some old favorites that can't be replaced. Now I have a gang box inside for all the portable stuff, and I don't leave anything else inside - it goes inside the shop.
    You can also get alarms that work pretty well.

10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Exactly what I was about to post. You can have the biggest, baddest, thickest lock in the world, but if all you are locking is a little thin piece of metal that can be easily bent or pryed out, then the lock does you no good.

Like this guy said, a strongbox inside bolted through to the metal of the trailer frame with large carriage bolts, and THEN locked with one of these discus style locks is probably the only way to protect your smaller stuff.