1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

trailer sides

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Neil M, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Neil M

Neil M LawnSite Member

I have a 6' x 12' trailer with 1' sides and instead of just using a tarp I would like to build up the sides a little with plywood. What is a safe height the best way to build it. Its for teporary use, like leaf clean up. And I have checked out the search and didn't find the answer I wanted.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I would think that the most practicle height would be 4'. This way, you are looking at 3 pieces of plywood, you still have plenty of height for material, and you're not looking at a WHOLE lot of bracing. Are you hauling equip. in this trailer too, or is it just for material? The reason I ask is, with leaves, leaf dust, and/or many other types of raw material, they just don't stack that high, without taking up more sq. footage. In other words, if your not using the whole trailer for material, there isn't any sense in going to high. I hope this helps.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Your trailer is roughly 6x12 and a sheet of ply is 4x8, so I'd say at the most, 8 ft tall. Only you can decide your needs. Use 4x's in the corners and 2x's at the seams. THROUGH BOLT EVERYTHING. Don't use nails or screws, or even lag bolts. You'll need some braces across the top, say three. Use 2x's and develope some kind of "quick release" system so you can take them off without using tools. The braces across the top are to keep the walls from bowing out when full and bowing in when empty. You'll figure it out.
  4. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

We did this on our 6x12 use the 4' of the pieces high... no higher! The wind catches them and they warp Bad after a while.. what We did was drilled 2 holes above and below eachother on both ends of the plywood then used U bolts to connect the wood to the trailer sides