trailer sides

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stslawncare, Aug 26, 2001.

1. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hey guys.
    wanted to update you! like i said previously i bought the frame of a popup camper. got a good axle and tires and good frame. i have painted the outter parts of the frame with yellow rustoleum, and am going to lightly spray the interior parts of the frame with black rustoluim to prevent rust. after im done that im going to put 3/4" plywood, i will treat it my self. i hope to have all this done by wednesday at the latest.
    my main question is the sides. what would u guys reccamend? its a 6x8. i do more landscaping than maintenance. right now i have one lawn account that i just picked up, but have been doing tons of landscaping for this older lady, and she has tons more planned ahead. i also have a few other jobs lined up. next year though i plan on having about 5 maintenance jobs though. anyways my plan is to put 3' 3/4" plywood sides on it supported by 3 2"x4" on each side. i plan on putting a railings on the inside around the perimeter to hold my shovels and rakes etc. the 3' sides will allow me to fill it up with leaves mulch or whatever also. also can put a tarp over the top and would keep equipment dry. these sides will be removable and in future will make other sides, so depending on type of job i have or whatever i can use the proper sides. how does all this sound? anyone got a better idea? please critisize........ thanks.
  2. cleancutdude

cleancutdude LawnSite Member

For grass & hedge clippings try using 1 ton sand bags
    these make it real easy to move a lots of light bulky stuff on and off
    your trailer with out the need for high sides.
    At the moment i use an all steel all galvanized ifor williams 6.6'*14'
  3. Dochere

Dochere LawnSite Member

After you put those one ton sand bags on there, you'll want to put a larger axle on as well. Assuming a front, left, and right side to this trailer, I would say a 10,000lb live axle added to you trailer should help to support the added 6000lbs.:confused:
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like your idea will work sts. I don't know what else to say. Is the yellow paint going to be visible to the public? If so, it might be a little loud.
  5. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you already have a good plan worked out.If I do a small clean up job ,I try to put the debris in trash cans if possible.((thank you BFI))They somehow gave me two cans with wheels and lids and never came back for them.:p