1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Size and Type

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by RwADesigner, Sep 12, 2007.

1. RwADesigner

RwADesigner LawnSite Member

Just wondering what type of trailers you guys haul your equipment in, Enclosed? or regular utility? Single axle/Dual Axle? Size?

2. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a open 22 foot dual axle. I have a 20 foot enclosed, but don't really like to use it, it is just to tight. Maybe if i had smaller mowers but 72s then the racks for the trimmers it is just kind of a pain. The enclosed does look more classy when lettered.
  3. lawnman456

lawnman456 LawnSite Member
    from ct

i have a 6x12 and i have outgrown it in a year. i have a open but im looking for a enclosed one for next year. always get the biggest one you can afford.,
  4. RwADesigner

Yea, I was debating that today when trailer shopping. I've decided to go with a 16' open trailer with a side and rear gate with 3' sides. They had a used 16' enclosed, very nice shape, but wasn't made with the best of them.

MUDFLAP LawnSite Member

I use a 16ft tandem axle enclosed, that may be too small for your operation, but works good for me. I like it for the add space/keeps my equipment secure when im working somewhere an cant see my rig/ or need to run into a store/etc + i flip a house or 2 in the off season and use it for a tool trailer. And sometimes i have other projects going in the barn, so can just leave it sit out with no worries
  6. RwADesigner

Ya, I will get one over the winter months. No doubt they look more professional. It is your "curb" appeal.
  7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 7'x14' with one 3500lb axle.

I also have a 7'x20' with two 5000lb axles.

I would not recommend two 5K axles unless you use it for hauling a tractor sometimes or you have three mowers. It's too stiff and bouncy for even two SuperZ's at times. You don't even want to know how it throws around one by itself.:dizzy:
  8. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

My 16 ft utility trail was hit by another driver a couple months ago, so I had to but a new one. I got a 22ft utility trailer this time. Not real sure if I like the dove-tail on it though. I have to watch for every dip in the pavement at every intersection and when entering drives and parking lots.
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 7X16 open trailer with 3500 pound axles.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We run both open and closed (all 18's).