trailer size question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by snapper, Oct 22, 2006.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

okay, there are alot of variables to this question and alot of talk, but i am trying to figure out sumthin. First i had a smallish home built trailer around a 5x8. then i upgraded to a 5x10. Then i got tired of it and bought a 6.5x 12. but know i am having second thoughts. I rarely haul over one walk-behind mower, despite my well thought out plans of carrying multiple mowers. The 6.5x12 i have now is just too dadgum big. Now i have no plans to upgrade, and this wb is a 48". I am considering either selling this one and buying a smaller one, or keeping the big one and then buying a say 5x8 for when i want to haul just the wb, and then use the big un for multiple mowers or trash or what ever. So i guess what i am wondering, is it not over kill to have one walk behind on a 6.5x12? And would it not make sense to have a trailer just big enough for what i normally haul? keeping in mind i have no plans to upgrade? Having a smaller trailer would mean less weight being towed, easier to get through back roads and such. Any thoughts on this? just trying to decide what i want to do...

later chris
  2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

bigger is better, works for trailers too:cool2:
    keep the bigger one, you'll need it at some point and you'll be glad that you kept the bigger one.
  3. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

You will grow into your trailer. I have had a couple made, and each time after some use, I wish they were larger than what I got.
    If you can park ok and pull it ok with the rig you have.....I'd say stay with it. Having a bigger trailer gives you alot of options and may just prompt someone seeing it asking you to do some hauling or clean-up for them. You have got it, trying to sell it you are gonna let some money go and then to buy a replacement......there is more outgo financially. Put your effort into developing your business and your trailer will work just fine......
  4. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

When I bought my first trailer 2.5 years or so ago I only had a 48" walkbehind. I bought a 6.5x16. Now I have that mower plus a 52" ferris walkbehind and 2 60" super z riders. If I wasn't limited to storage space I wish I had gone to an 18' trailer. I also have a 6x12 trailer. Don't go back to a smaller trailer espically if its smaller than a 6x12.