Trailer size question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by MikeMaupin, Feb 8, 2004.

1. MikeMaupin

MikeMaupin LawnSite Member

I was thinking on buying a 5 x 10 trailer but have heard much talk on this site about 6 x 12.I am small but growing and as of yet have no WB but want to add one asap.I want to buy a trailer not so much because I have to but it would help me out and also to prepare for the future.Do I really need a 6 x 12 ? A 5 x 10 would surely hold a WB and a couple push mowers.I am not affraid to go bigger, but I just want to know is this something I really need now or will a 5 x 10 give me enough room to expand and grow a little in the near future.Just trying to justify the purchase and dont want any regrets.I am trying to grow but not to fast, I have to make my investments well and in kind of a frugal way because unlike others on this site who are well on thier way and have the green flowing, money is an issue for me.Thanks and good luck to all this next season, I know I am ready to go , and also lose about 20 lbs of extra weight.

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Most will prob. recommend something bigger than a 5X10. I am actually looking for a 5X10. Have been looking at a Big Tex 29SA, and got a quote today from my nearest dealer. 844.00 Know people get alot bigger for the same money. I'm still looking.
    (lose 20#s for me, too. Too lazy to lose any on my own)

3. trophytkr

trophytkr LawnSite Member

I would go with the bigger one the 6x12. I am going into my 3rd year of business. Part time plan to be doing only this come summer. Will be quiting my other job after 25 plus years. Last year did 5 times the business of the first year and started with a 6x12 trailer. It's like a garage you never have enough storage. Just bought a two axle 6 x16 and it probably will still be too small.
    I still have the 6 x 12 and will use both depending on the job and the equipment that needs to be hauled.

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have a 6 1/2 X 12 and I wish I had a 7 X14. After you've been in the business for a while you begin to accumulate more and bigger equipment. The 6 X 12 would be the smallest I would buy if you intend to do lawn care full time. You'll be glad you went with a bigger trailer.

5. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

A 5 foot wide trailer will be a tight fit for a mower deck wider than 48 inches. Get a 6'x12' or bigger.

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I have a 5x10 for sale. I used to carry the 36" TTHP exmark, two 21" lawn boys, and all the fixin's in the 5x10. Also, before the exmark, I used it to haul around a 42" lawn tractor.

7. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Shame you live so far away `Nest. I would almost make you an offer. Might go on vacation in a month or so. You still live in Slidell? (best price so far for a new 5X10 is 605.00 but no gate)

8. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

I currently have a 8 X 16 trailer w/ weed eater racks to hold up to 10 weed eaters. It also has 3 baskets to hold other misc. equipment. I am trying to sell it because I am about to purchase an Isuzu NPR. If you are interested send me a PM.

9. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Yes, still In Slidell. 8( lol

10. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

Just starting out...what is the biggest two-axle trailor I can pull with an F150 5.8 liter? I want to load in a ZTR, a big walkbehind, a few smaller trim mowers, and an assortment of gadgets...Thanks...Tony