trailer size, you all were right

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by snapper, Sep 26, 2006.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

well this spring i bought a 5x10 for 600$(had trade ins). used it all summer, but was frustrated that i couldnt fit what i wanted to on it. So on a whim i stopped to talk to the guy i bought it from to look over his selection. Well for 250 more dollars i drove off with a 6.5x12 single axle trailer. 15" tires wood floor mesh gate. Once i get used to the size it is going to be nice. A little overkill for most of the time since i usually just haul a walk behind, but when i want to haul another lawn tractor or walk behind, it will be nice.. Not to mention it will get used for hauling scarp metal, trash mulch what ever.. So you all were right the bigger the better..

later..

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a 6 X 12 and for my it is already to small lol. I have a 52" Z and a 48 inch walk behind and its tight. I want to add a bagger to the Z but I think I will run out of space before that happens.

Cheers
    Jeff

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I started with a homemade 4 x 8, then went to a 5 x 12, now a 6 x 16. Was sorry many times did not get a bigger one from the begining.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I started with a 6 x 12 and I think that is the min size to start with unless you have a special niche.......like if you only provide a 21'' mower seervice only.

wayne

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I've got an 8 x 20 enclosed now and wish for a couple more feet on it every now and again. I don't think I'd get a larger size just due to getting in and out of neighborhood streets.

Started with a 5 x 8, got a 6 x 12 then a 7 x 14 tandem then the 8 x 20 enclosed. Wish I would have got the 8 x 20 first......

6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I think 6.5 by 18 would be the best size, big enough but not huge.

Jeff

7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Ditto. Execpt I started with a 5x10, then 7x16 then 2 6x14's and now a 8.5x20 enclosed.

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

LOL,
    that advise is never taken.....

I think a 16 foot tandem is the MINIMUM that you should buy... you can comfortable fit 2 mowers, a few 21's, and all your other stuff