1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Size

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Victo, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Victo

Victo LawnSite Member

I am trying to figure it out which size of trailer will be big enough to carry my machines. I have one 44 in Dixie, one quick 36 wb and one 22in push mowe. I am guesing the 6x10 should be ok, or I should go for the 6x12. How to you measure?
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

The 36 and 21 could go beside each other in the front and the dixie behind them. Put them end to end on the ground and measure them. I had a 12 footer and it takes about 11 feet for a tiger cub and toro proline end to end. Even if it will fit go with a 12 footer, you may want to put a trash can of some fertlizer or something else on there at times, plus the next mowers you buy may be a little bigger and the extra foot or 2 may be needed
  3. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go bigger than you need also. You will always find something to fit in that space.
    It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
  4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

DIDO!, I bought a 7x12 and I cant fit all of my things on it. I wish I would have bought at least a 16 foot trailer. So now I have to figure out what equipment I will be using for that day, and I'm sure it will work out when I get use to our new route. But what a PITA! And ya know I will forget something at some point.
  5. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

i'd recommend the following trailer
    7' x 14' at least this will fit every

payup payup payup payup payup
  6. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I would say bigger is better. I started with a 5*8, than a 16', now a 20', I would suggest get the largest trailer that you can fit on your accounts and fit in your budget. Also, tandems ride better and the larger tires and bearings hold up a bit better.
  7. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I started with a 7x14, it gives you room to expand, or if you carry landscape material or haul debris, the room is there.
  8. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

victo look at a v nose trailer enclosed ,it gives you an extra 18 inch's that you don't pay for i have a 6 X 12 ,but it is really a 6x13.6 because of the v nose can be bought for about 2500 i can fit my 52 inch exmark 36 inch walk behind and 21 walk behind plus all 2 cycle and more
  9. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I have a 6x12 (actually inside rail demensions is 6'-4"x12'-6") and works great for my stuff. a scag 52" tc and a scag 61" tt and a honda push that hangs above the front wheels on the scag tc. Its a snug fit but works great. the trailer is lighter and easier to find parking spots and to back up. plus since it is lighter it helps with gas milage. having an open trailer will give better gas milage and wont have to fight with wind on windy days (enclosed are harder to keep from swaying in the wind).