1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer size???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by grn2806, Nov 27, 2005.

1. grn2806

grn2806 LawnSite Member

just wondering if anyone can help me out with what size trailer to buy? I curently own a 5 X 10 and have a XMark 48 Turf Tracer. I plan to add a 52 or 54 lazer z or Hustler ZTR. I don't want to buy the trailer any larger than I have to have because I'm pulling it with a Chevy S-10 and sometimes parking can be a problem in some neighborhoods. What is the smallest trailer you can put a 54 ZTR and a 48 walk behind on?
    Thanks for the help,
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

12 foot I think. \I have a tiger cub and a toro proline wb and it is a very snug fit. With an s10 for a tow truck I might would look into a 14 foot single axle
  3. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I started with a 12' trailer and a 48" TTHP and then I got a 60" lazer. They both will fit but it's a tight fit. If the S-10 has a 4.3 in it you might be ok but it will be a strain.
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Engine isn't the problem, brakes are. Are you getting a trailer with electric brakes and I don't mean the surge type. If not you are in violation of the law. Just so you know. If you are commericial you need electric brakes with a break away switch and a load controller box.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We run surge brakes on our haulmarks no problems we trade trucks so it works for us.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

Im not sure about FLA or TN but the only requirements for trailer brakes in the state of Va is if the trailer is a tandem axle. You can get them on a single axle trailer but it is left up to the owner of the trailer, it isnt a state code or law, least not in Va. And either electric or surge are approved for tandem trailers here.
  7. huskymower

huskymower LawnSite Member

I have a 12 foot trailerand it is a tight fit for my 58 inch husky with bagger attachment
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

28' enclosed. that way you won't have to be buying another one in a cple yrs. and if you go out of biz I can buy it cheap. :D
  9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

surge is not approved on any trailer used commercially in the state of Florida. I don't know the law, but checked with a few trailer dealers and a buddy who works for highway patrol. He looked it up or had someone look it up. He also said you will never get stopped, but that isn't the real problem. If you are in an accident and a smart lawyer finds that out, he will blame the whole accident on that regardless of other factors and at best it will be an uphill battle for you.
  10. grass_cuttin_fool

Looks like the laws should come under the DOT or something, which should make them more uniform. It would be a shame if I were to load up my trailer with supplies and head to FLA after a hurricane and end up with a ticket. As you stated , prob would never happen unless something happen and a lawyer got into it.