Trailer size?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawn crafters, Jun 12, 2008.

1. lawn crafters

lawn crafters LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

very small now (equitment wise) but am picking up a 36 walkbehind in a few days. i have a 4x6 trailer and the new walkbehind and thing in my signature just fit. but my question is how big of a trailer should i upgrade to if i was to get the wright stander 52" w/ the trimmers and blower on racks + elpansion room? or if i was to get a 0 turn?

lastly what do you think is the cheapest yet most useful large cut mower for a upgrade from the 36 walk behind?

2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

7x16 is minimum if its your only trailer

3. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

i was able to get away with 7 x 14 daul axle w/ brakes on both axles. works great for me.

4. MassSteelerfan

MassSteelerfan LawnSite Member
    from Mass

I have a 7x 14 and is great for your set up. I was thinking 6x12 at first, and it will carry your equipment, but no room on sides to get by. Is a tight fit

5. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

What are you pulling it with? I run a 6.5 x 12 tandem axle and you can fit lots of stuff on it and not feel like you're pulling a semi around down.

6. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 5x10 with my sig equipment and I am out of room. My next trailer will be a 6.5x12 open or closed depending on what deal passes in front of me.

7. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Asking that question is like asking, "What is your favorite color?" Everybody who answers will have a different reply with a very justified justification. BUT....I actually took some advice from this site and went with a 16 footer.

The truth is...the price was not that big a difference betweent a 12 to 14 to 16. Couple hundred bucks at best. When I first got the 16 footer...I thought it was huge...way to big for what I needed. BUT within the first month....I was sooooo thankful I had gotten the larger size for I needed it. I started off with a bunch of mulch jobs and if you plan on puttin 25 bags or more on your trailer with any WTB or ZTR...you will need the extra room. Could never fit mulch and a mower on a 12 footer...unless you are going to make several trips....which cost both time and gas...which equal money.

I first put my ZTR on there and thought it was way to big for my needs. I soon had three new accounts with fences and gates. Guess what? My ZTR was too big. Needed a 36 inch WTB. Once I put both of them on there and a small 21 inch push mower....that baby is filled to the max.

Point being....spend the extra cash and go big.

I want to buy an enclosed and I am going to go wtih a 20 footer for the same reason....so I can grow. Think BIG! If you go small...you will limit yourself to being small...no offense to anybody but I couldn't do what i do with a 12 foot trailer...not even a 14 footer without it costing me extra money in the long run.

Anybody agree...or disagree???

8. task125

task125 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I went with an 8x14 pace summit,I like the 8' wide the axel is the same width.gives you more room inside.The rule I heard was what ever trailer you think you need go to the next size bigger.

9. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I went for 4 seasons with a 14' open trailer. It barely carried a 48" WB and a 52" ZTR. When I upgraded the 48" WB to a 48" Great Dane Super Surfer, I had to upgrade to a 16foot trailer. I also carry a 21" WB on occasion. I use racks for the trimmers. but just pop the blowers on the trailer floor. I'll probably sell the 14" trailer.

10. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

my trailer is a 50'' by 8 feet. my 48'' mower fits and blower and trimmer racks also fit it can also fit my walk behind blower or 21'' mower