1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Size?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by nnj18, Dec 21, 2008.

1. nnj18

nnj18 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd like to purchase an enclosed in the spring and need some help with the size. I plan on having a 60" ztr w/ 3-bin bagger, 48" stander or wb and a 36" wb + all the handhelds.

I was thinking a 8x16'. But I figured I'd ask you guys since quite of few of you have a similar setup. Do I need to go bigger or will 16' be enough?

....This year I just used a 6x12 tandem axle which held a 48" and 36".
  2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Go with at least an 18'. You will be much happier with the extra room.
  3. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee LawnSite Senior Member

i agree with txn. 18' would be the way to go.
  4. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

im gonna cast a vote for 18'. it will fit in the 16 (ive had more than that in one) but it will be a pita EVERY time you stop to do a lawn. whats the tow vehicle? i might say a 20' is the best route.
  5. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Whatever you decide on go one size bigger, you'll run out of room quick!
  6. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the mix of this myself. I like the 6'4"x12' open trailer I have now. But if I tote 2 mowers, I have to flip the deck on my Walker.

Next year I am planning on a bigger truck. Later next year, I am thinking of buying a open cut ZTR and then I would need a bigger trailer. I am going to keep my open trailer, because it holds 6 yards of mulch and TONS of bales of pine straw.

I am probably going to buy a diesel truck, if I do that 8x18' is what I am going to buy.
  7. ryry278

ryry278 LawnSite Senior Member

You will probally want an 18. I am getting a 7x 16 but only hauling 60' zero and a either a 60" walkbehind or 36" WB and of course all the other equipment
  8. ryry278

ryry278 LawnSite Senior Member

I would think unless you can fit those two wBs side by side which you might get the 18 or 20. Had the same dilema earlier decieding on what size to get i am gettin a 7x 16 though i can fit 60" zero with either a 60" WB also or a 36" and or a 48" WB with it so that suits me fine plus i will have extra room for a work bench and stuff and i will of course have all my other equipment in there. One thing you should keep in mind is the bigger you go the harder to get in and out of areas and also weight. I personally wanted to get the smaller to help save on gas. If i could fit a WB and my Zero into a 6x12 i would but i miss it by like a foot so no deal, but that was also a $1000 less.
  9. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 LawnSite Member

24 ft trailer, done. we can fit a 3 ft deep shelve on the front, put a 36 walk under it, 2 60 exmarks w/ baggers no problem. we pull with a f350 v10 dump.
  10. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

Go with a 20' if you can fit it in all areas. Just remember an enclosed is actually smaller. Since the trimmers, blowers and everything can't hang over the rails like an open trailer. A 16' would fit everything but you would love the extra room.