trailer size

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lukemelo216, Jan 3, 2009.

1. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

I am deciding on my trailer right now and just need some opinions. You guys who have or have owned 14' trailers can you fit 2z's on your trailer plus a wb and a 21". If you did what size mowers do (or did) you have too.

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Here's my experience.....We can only fit 1-52" ZTR with bagger, 1-36" w/b 2-21" mowers and a few gas cans on the floor of our 8.5x16 foot enclosed trailer. If you can afford to buy any size, buy at least a 18-20ft trailer. Trailers fill up quickly especially an enclosed one. BTW mines only 3 seasons old and I'm already looking to buy a larger one. Just know your limitations like, what are you going to be towing it with, how easy is it going to be to park it at properties, if your mainly in subdivisons then a larger trailer wont be so hard to park but if your in a metro area then good luck finding room some times.

3. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I want a new trailer sometime but its not looking like it will happen any time soon. But I have heard the way to figure it out on the size is park all your equipment just like it would be on the trailer and measure it out, then go the next size up from that.

4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a plan !!

5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

On my 14' I can fit my 52" ztr (with bagging system) and a 21" with only about 2 feet to spare. I will be upgrading this year to a 16 or 18 foot enclosed trailer. With what you want to put on the trailer I would suggest at least any 18 foot but probably bigger like a 20'.

6. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

i own a 14 foot trailer and i can fit 3 52" wb's on it. its a tight fit and it takes alittle bit of time to get them on there so they fit just right. i'd go bigger if you can afford it.

7. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on you area I would buy a 16ft trailer. I bought a 12ft trailer and kicking myself for it. 18 or 20 would be to big to manuver around here in town.

like lawn freak said....park everything like you want it, measure it then get the size bigger

8. Right Touch

Right Touch LawnSite Senior Member

my first trailer was a 6x12 enclosed single axle. i fit a 52" lazer and a 36" wb with all my other equip and it was like you had to take yoga to climb in and out of the thing. I thought I was pretty special cuz guys would always ask me how I got it so organized. Then I upgraded to an 8 1/2' x 20'. i originally was going to go with a 16' due to cost, but now am so happy i went with the 20'. its just got so much space for everything with room to walk around in. Now I wonder why I spent 2 years maneuvering around in such a small trailer. True, the longer trailer will pose some parking problems but i think the space inside outweighs the parking issue.

9. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 5x13, and it only holds a 48" WB, 32" WB, and a 21". If I had the 6' width then I could fit two WB's and 3 21's. The bare minimum size that could hold 2 Z's (assuming 6 feet long each), a 36" or 48" WB, and a 21" would be a 6x18. 7x20 is much more preferable, as you could fit a 32" and 48" side by side. Or even better, an 8' wide trailer.

10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Buy the largest trailer you can afford 16' or larger. Remember unless your just the mow and go type your trailer is going to be hauling more than just mowers. We use ours for just about everything from shrub trimmings, trees, brick and the list goes on. A 16' trailer is a good all around size for most things but if your like us your going to need more than just one.