Trailer Size?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grasssin, Dec 6, 2003.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the market for a trailer to fit a 36" wb and a 21" together plus the trimmer trap for all the little goodies. What size would this be 5x10 or 6x 10, 6x 12?

I would like a little leftover room to fit misc materials on there as well.

Thanks for the help again...

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Get the largest trailer you can afford. As your business grows, you won't have to buy another trailer right away. I made this mistake once, and had to buy a new trailer 2 years after I'd just bought one. Post# 3350

3. MIMAINTAINCE

MIMAINTAINCE LawnSite Member

Bob couldnt be any more right. I made the mistake of getting a 5'x10'. 2 years later, I bought a 54" walk behind and it barely fit width wise. I also had a tractor. They barely fit after some welding from my friend. If I could start again, i would go 6.5x12

4. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Then get the 6x12 - nothing smaller.
    I started off with a little 5x8. Was too small to start with. Then bought me a new 5x10. That size didn't last me one season and then got me a 6x12 with 2' high mesh sides and a 4' rampgate.
    The 6x12 is a pretty roomy trailer and you can easily fit a 52" Z and a 52" w/b on it. The w/b sits sideways in the back. Racks for the trimmers and tools and a basket for the gas cans and more tools and s#$t and you have a pretty compact setup, lots of space, easy manuevarable and towable.

I should'nt have wasted my time and money on all those smaller units to begin with.

Good Luck
    PC

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

6x12 is a good sixe. It sucks to have a trailer that is "big enough" and have to take something in for repairs, and the loaner mower they will gladly give you wont fit on the trailer.

6. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Hey grassin,
    Just found this 6x12 trailer (new) on ebay with a Buy it Now price of $795. Now that's a steal! :drinkup:

7. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with Bob on this. Trailers are just like storage buildings - no matter what size you get they are going to be too small way too soon. If you can afford it upgrade to a tandem axle trailer. Not only can you haul more but they don't sway as much as a single axle trailer.

No matter how many axles you get don't pass up the electric brakes. You just haven't lived until you slide through a red light intersection with all four wheels on the truck locked up knowing there isn't a thing you can do to stop. Trust me on this! :D

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Gotta agree!!!! Anyone you buy can't be big enough or have enough brakes!!!!!! Also the cost for the exta axle is not that much more, but it doubles the weight you can carry. Could come in handy if you ever wanted to haul a small trac, dingo, etc.

9. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Check your state laws. Here in MI, any trailer that weighs over 1500 lbs. is required to have brakes on all axles as well as a break away device. I bought one with single axle brakes and it was impounded by the local Motor Carrier officer. Cast me almost $500 for the ticket and towing bill. It only cost $150 to add brakes to the other axle.