Trailer Size ?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 89Ranger, Jun 16, 2004.

1. 89Ranger

89Ranger LawnSite Member

Okay, I have an 89 ford ranger and i was looking to buy a start up trailer. but then i remebered that we have a little 4X8 trailer that we haul our 4-wheeler on and was wondering if i could use this instead of buying a trailer right away. I am going to haul a garden tractor or a rear engine rider, which ever is a better qaulity of a used one and will hold up more so the one that is the better deal. Then i could haul grass in the back of my truck. On the trailer i would also like to haul the gas cans and a push mower. Do u think i could fit it all on there?

2. aalawnmower

aalawnmower LawnSite Member
    from ND

Yes you can but it will be a tight fit I am doing it now with a garden tracter and 21'' mower and gas cans and weed wacker. But it is a tight fit.

3. 89Ranger

89Ranger LawnSite Member

so i can use it? what about how heavy the axles are rated for and the weight of the equipment? What size of garden tractor do u have? and what type of truck are u using to pull it with?

4. aalawnmower

from ND

Right Know I am using a suburban to pull it and have a 20hp 42 in cut craftsman on it I think it has a max load of 1000 pounds not sure.

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have insurance??

6. aalawnmower

from ND

7. aalawnmower

from ND

No I don't I only mow two lawns one I have done sinc I was 12 that is two house down from me and I just drive the mow they and the other one is rental house of my dads that I mow so when I have to mow that one I just drive his suburban to that one towing to trailer. I will get insurance before I get more jobs.

8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Get the biggest trailer you can afford.

I started with a 5x8 single, quickly purchased a 7x12 single then an 8x16 single then a 8x20 tandem enclosed.

If I knew then what I knew now I would have purchased the 8x20 enclosed right off the bat.

9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

just woundering....... Be careful, it only takes a split of a sec and your in debt the rest of your life