Trailer size

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LawnBoy89, Nov 17, 2004.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

This year I only have one mower, Ferris 48'' w/b. But next year I am going to be adding a Ferris ZTR, probably one of the bigger ones.

What I was wondering is what size trailer should I get. I don't want to get a 10 ft. now and then have to upgrade when I get a new mower.

How big do I need a trailor to fit a w/b and a ZTR? I don't want to get a trailer that is too small and need to upgrade so what size trailer will I need to fit both these machines, and what are you guys running?

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a scag tiger cub which is a smaller compact mower and a walkbehind and the trailer is full, I have a 6.5x 12. I would seriously look at a 7ft x 16 with a side gate so you can unload the walkbehind and not have to move the z

3. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

they make 6.5 by 12's that have a side gate thats 5 feet wide. TSC has them for about 1,300 I think.

4. LawnBoy89

Do you think I would be alright with a 7 X 14? I know the Ferris' are very large machines as far as width.

What is TSC and where can I find them?

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

14 footers in a single axle are a little hard to come by, and if you go with a dual axle in 14 foot then i would definately go with 16 foot, leaves you alot more room for a push blower or walk behind edger , 21 '' push mower . I would definatley try to get a trailer with a side gate no mater what size you end up with

6. LawnBoy89

What are some good companies that make landscape trailers? Because there is a "Trailer Depot" right down the street from me but I think all they sell is Big Tex and one other company that sells inclosed stuff.

I really don't want to spend over $1500, is that possible?

Thanks for the help guys.

7. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

TSC= Tractor Suppy Company

i dont know how your trailers price, But i can get a 6.5 X 16 dual axle with brakes and rear gate for about $1300 ad a side gate basket and racks you end up with about $2000 in it. But you may have racks already? A said gate is not necessary, but it is vary nice and worth the extra $200 or so.

p.s. I hear Big Tex is a fairly good trailer, lots of people hear have them.

8. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

A 6.5 X 16 with dual axles, brakes and a tool rack for $ 1300-1500 is not bad. Put the w/b and the small stuff up front and under the tool rack, with the ztr to the rear, near the axles. That should work great.

9. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It is a good price, we seem to have cheap trailer's down here.

10. turftammer

turftammer LawnSite Member

I think I need to be in the trailer buisness and sell to you guys. some of the prices just amaze me I can buy 16' tandem w/ramp gate & side gate for $1000 or no side gate for $750