Trailer sizes pertaining to starting out

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by zak406, Apr 21, 2010.

?

What would you do starting up?

1. Buy a small trailer because thats all you need at the time?

23.3%
  2. Buy a big trailer because you can grow into it?

65.1%
  3. Screw it go out and buy a enclosed? Why not? :)

9.3%
  4. Either way it does not matter.

2.3%
  1. FullAuto

FullAuto LawnSite Member

I'd start with a 16' tandem axle trailer minimum. If you ever do any decent yard cleanups, you'll be glad you had the bigger trailer. And IMO, the longer trailers are much easier to maneuver. I could back an 18' trailer through a slalom course. The smaller trailers are also more sensitive to bumps and potholes and will beat on your equipment more than the heavier/larger trailers (our roads are crap in Ok). I also prefer having a brake axle.

2. Brad Ent

Brad Ent LawnSite Member

6'x12' you can fit a Zturn and a WB.
    You won't need a larger trailer until you add a third mower.
    Tandem axle trailer requires more maintenance, brake system (controller, battery b/u etc.) and commercial registration.
    In addition, you can buy a brand new 6x12 for the cost of a used big trailer.

3. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the answers guys MOst of you seem to agree with me.. thnks keep them coming

4. Aaronnc

Aaronnc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7B

I personally myself would look for a good used enclosed simply for the fact of locking it up and so on, but you can get cheaper new ones if your more concerned with space and not necessarily quality. Something like this for $1.5k: http://www.equipmenttraderonline.com/find/listing/2010-CURRAHEE-76-x-16'-93962563 Or you can save and scrape up and pay $3k for an enclosed one that you can lock up then take it by a sign shop and get it wrapped and you also have a rolling billboard: http://www.trailershopper.com/page-26492.html Hope this helps.

5. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

Here is another suggestion. My first trailer was a 6x10 single axle. It was a total piece of junk, but me and my step-dad put a new side to it, new planks, new axle, new springs(I think), repainted it, new tires, new rims, and a new title. I got the trailer for free, so all in all I think I paid around 500.00 to repair. I also learned alot about trailers. When it came time to upgrade I sold it I think for either 900.00-1,000.00.

6. legacylawn

legacylawn LawnSite Member
    from tn

Bigger trailer is better if you plan on doing any landscaping. I started small and couldn't carry enough mulch. I would definitely buy the bigger trailer at first. Rather than starting small and having to upgrade. But it depends on if you are only mowing or planning on doing other landscaping work also.

7. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

I don't believe the answers are suppose to be questions either!
    Posted via Mobile Device