trailer smallness Q

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikesjumpingin, Mar 10, 2003.

1. mikesjumpingin

mikesjumpingin LawnSite Member

How small is not too small for a trailer?

This question is important because I have an approx. $5,000 for start up budget, light truck w/light hitch I've already got.

I won't say what kind of vehicle because I will be made fun of.

I found a dealor/servicer I like and I plan on getting:

an Exmark 48 Metro HP, quoted 3500
    Stihl backpack blower 400
    Stihl trimmer (attachable) 350
    other accessories (hedge trimmer, etc.) ??
    trim mower ?
    plus trailer ??

(advertising and other business expenses on a separate budget)

How small of a trailer do you think would not be too small for this set-up for my first season with the above equipment, plus some things I have not thought of?

I can put some stuff in the back of my vehicle.

2. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

When I first started I had a 6X12 and I pulled it with a regular Toyota 4cyl. truck. It did perfectly fine.
  3. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with nothing smaller then a 6x12 due to having to haul your mowers plus debris, bags of grass etc...
  4. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I pulled 5x12 mesh floor,drop tail,with 48"w/b,42"ridin mower,21"push with 96nissan 4x4 4cyl.It pulled it,but it was very hard on it.Merge'n onto I-75 at rush hour was an adventure,big hills was real hard on it.about 17mpg empty,about 12 loaded.In my opinion-6x12min.trailer also 6cyl over 4cyl added torque of 6 is needed,the 6 will prob. get better mpg under load too.I now pull 6.5x16 with f350-no merge'n probs.:)
  5. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

5x10 would be big enough and still small enough for your truck to pull. I started with a 5x10 and am still using it today. I can fit a Lazer hp, 2 21"ers, and all my 2 cycle racks loaded with 2 cycle equipment. If i have to haul any mulch or clippings they go in the back of the truck.
  6. mikesjumpingin

Okay, I'll factor in 6 x 12 for my budget and try to get it used.

The Scag dealer I met before finding the Exmark dealor, told me all I needed was the 5.5 X 10, but also gave me a quote for 6 x 10.

So I do need the 6 X 12, and a light hitch should pull my stuff just fine?

I'll confess I have a 1994 6 cyl. Jeep Grand Cherokee I just bought this winter. It was in perfect condition with no rust and light use, all the pick-ups I looked at were so much more $ and heavily attacked by PA roadsalt. Over surplus of used SUV's in our area. High resale for used pick-ups.

But now I hate myself for not getting an F-150.

7. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

A good used 5x10 is plenty for what u have unless u can find a good price for 6x12. New 5x10 here is 900.00 out the door:drinkup:
  8. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Mike that Jeep woun't have any problem pulling a 6X12, and I sent you a PM check it out.
  9. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I agree 100%,that is a strong 6.You could pull 16ft.;)
  10. mikesjumpingin

Okay, my engine can pull it, thanks...

How about my hitch, it's "light duty" and my transmission has no cooler.

I guess I need to add up mower and tractor weight and see if it comes in at Class I/light hitch (I think its Class I).