trailer space 18ft

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Steve Voss, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Steve Voss

Steve Voss LawnSite Member

looking to upgrade my trailer to a 18ft open utility
    specific trailer has 2ft of dovetail

will the remaining 16ft fit a 36 and 60 exmark wb plus a 60 ztr exmark

I currently fit the 60 & 36 wb on a 12ft, 36 sideways..

2. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Gotta paint out the dimensions on the ground and give it a try. Only way to know for sure.
    I fit a 60" rider and 2 52" standers on an 18ft, but with no dovetail

3. Steve Voss

all exmarks ? I guess the 2 ft dovetail wouldn't really matter if I load the 60 wb on last as that's more of less the space the ecs controls and a velke is hanging out the back.

4. Steve Voss

anyone else have any input on this matter ? I need help in my decision. I hear that gorrila gate lift will not work on a dovetail ??? Is this true / why is that. Should I get a 5ft gate and no dovetail is that equivalent for preventing the mowers from catching? here is the trailer I am looking to buy just in a 18ft version
    http://jacksontrailersales.com/5/243/lamar_83_x_16_utility_trailer_10k_axle_.html

5. RedSox4Life

from Mass

No my mowers aren't ex marks.

I have no problem getting the mowers on the trailer with no dovetail. Sometimes on my 14fter they'll catch though. Id guess it's going to depend on where the axles are situated and how big of a drop you have on your hitch whether or not a dovetail is necessary.

Some trailers new can have a gate lift assist built in....maybe look into that if you're worried about an aftermarket one not working.

6. smokenjoe_10

smokenjoe_10 LawnSite Member

when I bought my trailer I went 2ft bigger, a 18ft would have worked for me and I went 20ft best thing I ever did.

7. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

I have put in ours a 60 lazer a 48 vantage a 30 commercial and a walker mt26 fir with some room left over. mowers were staggered.

8. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NJ

These just fit on my 16' enclosed trailer: on first up by the hitch is a Exmark 48" Viking, sideways under the Viking ecs controls is a 30" Exmark, last on by the ramp is a 50 Exmark Lazer with the ultra vac 2 bag collection system. The 30" takes up little if any room. I think you might need a bigger trailer.
    Park your mowers together, exactly how you would place them on your trailer and measure the overall length and width of the group. Then you will know how much trailer you will need.

9. Steve Voss

The problem is I dont own the 60ztr yet, anyidea how much space a 60exmark ztr takes up.

If I get an extra tall gate would that be as good as a dovetail.

thought abouy a 20ft but idk

The 12 ft accomodates the 36 and 60 tt
    so that leaves 6 ft to fit a ztr in the middle.

Would think a 36 sideways a ztr 60 then a wb 60 would probably fit on a 18? All exmarks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. RedSox4Life

from Mass

Mower dimensions should probobly be listed on ex marks website under specs